What do you all think of this Holiday 16?

and2ram

Seaman
http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/3127579596.html

Likes: price, color, trailer, closed bow, original owner, looks very clean!

Dislikes: motor age, it's not an 18:(

For the price I could replace the motor with an early 90's Yamaha or Johnson that might run me $1500 with trade in or I could just run it as is untill the old 85 gives out. What do you all think?

I've been looking at this one as well, http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/3091210918.html but I just have a gut feeling that based on the price they won't budge much. What's it actually worth, $3K, $3500 tops?

BonairII

Commander
Re: What do you all think of this Holiday 16?

Boat and motor in fantastic shape! It won't last long IMO.

That motor will probably last another 50years, so don't plan on it "wearing out".

The seller obviously lives on the water, so I would assume that you can take a test ride before buying....which is a huge plus.

barato2

Commander

grab it at that price

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you could go wrong with either boat. Those both look great. It all comes down to what you prefer...inboard/outboars vs. outboard...and open bow vs. closed. Good luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would be more leery of the second boat. Boats don't like sitting unused. The first one doesn't look bad for $2k.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the first boat..make sure it shifts.. forward/neutral/reverse..I think the 1972 Johnson Outboards...an probably the Evinrudes still had the Hydro-Electric shift...
I have a 1971 60hp Johnson with the Hydro-Electric Shift and it has been working fantastic for me...however...the two electric solenoids
in the lower unit are no longer available new...have to look in the used market...if not working...might help bring the price down...

Looking at the 2nd boat...identification on the side of the boat does not show Minnesota...but it is listed in Northern Minnesota on CL....
IA 8696 PP ...has title/license been changed over?...looking in the Minnesota Boating Guide 2012...page 10 & 11...if your boat matches any of the descriptions below, it DOES NOT need to be titled. My boat:
*Is a registered in another state and is never used in Minnesota for over 90 days at a time.
*Was manufactured before August 1, 1979
*Is 16 feet or less in length
*Is a rowboat with oar locks and an outboard motor rating of less than 40HP
*Is a canoe, kayak, ship's lifeboat or seaplane
*Is a documented vessel (documentation is a process where official papers are issued by the Coast Guard on boats of 5 net tons or larger).
*Is owned by a manufacture for testing purposes only.
*Is a duck boat used only in season for duck hunting.
*Is a rice boat used only in season for ricing.
*Is owned by a resort or recreational camping area which is licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health.
*Is a rowing shell or scull (not an ordinary rowboat).
*Is owned by the United States, a state, this state, or a political subdivision.
*Was not previously issued a title from another jurisdiction.

How does the second boat look on this list...how long is it...are you in Minnesota...My boat is a 1971 Starcraft 16ft..I did not have to get a title for it but the trailer was another story...I was lucky I was able to get the seller to be with me at the License Office to
sign off on the transfer of ownership of the trailer...

From the pictures..both boats LOOK really nice...how long is the second boat??? Will you be wanting to fit it in a garage..is it too long?
If the seller will let you...do a compression check on the motors before you buy...bad compression...talk them down in price or maybe
walk away...

and2ram

Seaman

Great info Starcraft16SS, you're right that does not appear to be a MN boat. Not sure on the size but I'm pretty sure it's an 18, I believe you could only get the 18 in an IO in '84.

I spoke to the owner of the 16' Holiday and he emailed me more pictures, WHAT A BOAT! I am going to do my best to make sure I buy this, we'll find out Saturday! It does have the electric shift, the PO hasn't had any issues but was aware that they have been known to cause problems. Floor and transom are said to be solid. I will keep you all posted!

BonairII

Commander

I am going to do my best to make sure I buy this, we'll find out Saturday!

Why are you waiting until Saturday?? Unless, it's the seller who requested Saturday.....I wouldn't wait another second to go look at it. That boat will be gone in a hurry.

and2ram

Seaman

Why are you waiting until Saturday?? Unless, it's the seller who requested Saturday.....I wouldn't wait another second to go look at it. That boat will be gone in a hurry.
The boat is 150 miles away otherwise I would be there tonight!

How fast would a 16 holiday be with an 85, seems like a lot of motor.

BonairII

Commander

The boat is 150 miles away otherwise I would be there tonight!

How fast would a 16 holiday be with an 85, seems like a lot of motor.

Take a sick day and go out and get her quick!

My guess is that she'll do around 30-35 mph. That 85hp is pre 1986, so it's 85 horse at the crank...not the prop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the pics look good, I wouldn't dawdle. Unless you have an agreement with the seller that you are first in line. And if it doesn't pan out when you get there you can always say no and you're just out gas money and time. From the ad it certainly seems to be one of those rare "water ready" old SC's. As far as the 85 hp motor, you don't have to run at WOT all the time and prob have a nice cruising speed about 25mph.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That motor will probably last another 50years, so don't plan on it "wearing out".

Until something lets go with the electric shift. I like the V4's but a pre-'73 would not be my first choice.

My 16' Jupiter with a '73 Johnson 85 would do 34-35 with no power trim.

and2ram

Seaman

Well, I've decided to hold off. I love the boat, great price, well maintained...but just too small. Frankly I'd like something a little newer as well. Had a guy email me about an '88 Holiday 18 with a Merc 100 he would sell me for $3k but something just seems fishy about that deal.

Hopefully someone buys the 16' Holiday soon, what a great boat!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My 18' SS is bigger in every way than my 16' was. Much more substantial.

and2ram

Seaman

Well, I bought a boat...no quite a Starcraft but close! She's a 1987 Sylvan 18' with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I would have loved a Holiday of this vintage with the same motor but just couldn't find one. Too bad because the Starcraft forums are soo much more active than the Sylvan forums.

barato2

Commander

some shared DNA between SC and Sylvan, IIRC. either way, you're welcome here.