what do i look for in used boat?

popuptarget

Cadet
Hey all,<br /> I am over in Iraq right now but planning on buying a used 18-22" bowrider for around $8,000 when I return. I am not boat smart at all. Other than gleaning info off iboat's forums, where can I got to get info on what to look for in a used boat so I dont get a lemon. Are there classes offered about boating rules and regs so I dont kill anyone or myself. Can yall suggest some brands to look at? Here is what I want it for. Sking and boating w/ wife and baby in Texas freshwater lakes.

rapall

Recruit
Re: what do i look for in used boat?

Ok Popup<br /><br />Here you go, try the coast guard auxiliary for boating classes. Good luck and PUT THE<br />PLUG IN before you launch, LOL.<br /><br />Mark

ndemge

Commander

check every nook n crany in a used boat for rot/soft spots... NEVER buy before taking a water test.<br /><br />check oil before going out on a ride, check oil when you get back to make sure it is still oil.<br />(check lower unit oil same way)<br /><br />Don't buy an omc Stringer 400 or 800 outdrive<br /><br />Run it for a good hour.... try to restart when it's warm and make sure it does<br /><br />bring someone with you that has had boats for a long time, and/or a mechanic friend.

D

DJ

popuptarget,<br /><br />I assume you are in the military. Thank you for your service.<br /><br />The advice given is good. If you are near any large bodies of water, there are probably marine surveyors available. That would probably be the best couple hundred bucks you'll ever spend. <br /><br />If not, have a competent technician check it over and make it worth his time $$$.<br /><br />I general, if outboard, check the lower unit fluid and take a compression test. The compression on all cylinders should be over 100 psi and very close to each other (within 5-10 psi.).<br /><br />If an I/O, check the lower unit fluid also and check the engine oil.<br /><br />Insist on an in water test.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Popup,<br />1st, Thank you for serving our country!<br />Second, you can take USCG boating courses online @ Boatsafe.com <br />Other stuff:<br />Make sure all the electronics/electrical systems work. If it's an I/O, make sure the trim works smoothly both up and down, all fluid levels look good and clean, the batteries aren't corroded at the posts, the steering is smooth... heck, there is so much to look for you might be ahead to take it to your neighborly boat store and pay to have it assessed.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with djohns19, if you don't know much about boats, hire somebody that does! The input they can give is priceless, almost like an up-front insurance policy.<br /><br />Also, check your local regulations, many lakes are banning two-stroke outboard motors within the next few years. If your lake is one of them, then you certainly want to look for an I/O that you can enjoy for many years.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Iraq, thats a bad deal, but I feel the pain. 11 years of service in the Army, last four in 3rd ID, so I know the deal. Good job though, your typin' so your still livin'.<br /><br />I won't repeat what the others said, but I will strongly recommend you hunt up some buddies that have the skills with boats and mechanicals. If you roll in with a couple of people who can sniff out the problems, you'll be so much better off. Nothing better than a seasoned eye. There is a lot that can be missed. If you really want to feel the fear, go to Project Boats and look at some of the treasures people have bought. I knew my rig was toast, I wanted a project, but some thought they got a squared away boat just to have to put in a new floor, transom, you name it before they even got the thing on the water. Anyway, good luck and stay livin' over there...<br /><br />Sgt Johnson

popuptarget

Cadet

Thank yall for the input. I need all the help I can get. reason behind this quetion see "gotta love your mother in law" in stupid people tricks. Thanks again. Jason

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

PPT, If you'd rather be enjoying your new boat than fixing it don't settle for anything less than one in the best condition you can afford, even if that means it's not as big as you'd like. Most boats are stored more than they are used, find one that has been stored indoors, not out in the sun, rain, or sitting in the water tied to a pier. All this rot, fading and corrosion is occuring during downtime.<br /><br />Like the rest of these guys have suggested, check it over carefully, have some freinds look at it, have a pro look at it, ask around here some more, and make sure your wife likes it!<br /><br />If you can, spend time with your boat owning friends, drive thier boats, help them with some repairs, you'll find out quickly what to look for/avoid, and what you like.<br /><br />If you are looking for a first boat you might want to consider something less than you will ultimately end up keeping for the long term. If you need to learn to launch, operate, and maintain a boat it may be less stressful if it's not your hard earned dream boat that you're learning on y'know?<br /><br />I found my 16' Baja bowrider w 110hp johnson for about $3k. It is an perfect condition in and out although it's kind of small (fits in my garage!). I use it just as you'd like to use yours, skiing and touring around with freinds and family. It took me a long time to find this one as I was not willing to compromise on the condition of the boat. I found it about two blocks from my house, my auto mechanic owned it. Baja made the same type of boat in bigger sizes too.<br /><br />If you like to fish at all, the fish'n'ski type boats are pretty cool, Stratos used to make a real beauty! It's a 20' or 21' called the 201.<br /><br />I don't know Texas but in WI the DNR offers boater safety training and certification. Your DOT may also offer something. Get the training before the boat!<br /><br />Welcome home in advance!!