what do i have?

mahend

Cadet
the seial number on lower unit is 2966480 it is a mercruiser the number on the engine is the same except there is another tag on the back of the block that says 296067. my question is what type of outdrive do i have? i want to put in new bellows gimble bearing shift cable gaskets and seals as i am restoring the boat that was given to me. on top of outdrive is a loop and to remove hinge pins ...well not sure how to do it i have read u need special tool but mine look like they are threaded holes any help or advice would be appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what do i have?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like an early MC-1....

Ya screw an adapter into the hinge-pin, 'n pull it with a slide-hammer...
or,..
ya can build a puller with a small piece of pipe, a few washers, 'n nuts, 'n a bolt that fits the threads,...
1/4-20 I think...

There's less chance of thread damage with the slide-hammer...

mahend

Cadet

the boat is a crestliner muski 17 trihull 1972....thanks bond-o pulled nails out and pins slid right out with little persuasion..question i left shift cable connected to unit do i need to take it off at transome end and pull through cable housing or do i take off on drive side and should i get new one?

mahend

Cadet

ok cut cable to remove from housing my housing screws into the backside of bellhousing after some more link surfing on this site i think i have a good plan ....i found the whole kit i need from aftermaket marine for 83.00 seams kind of cheap compared to other sources is this a good company? also on the back side of gimble bearing there seams to be a rubber flap with hole in it for driveshaft does this come with kit? i only ask because it looks distorted