What did this guy do wrong ??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Indiana bicyclist drops dead 1 day after journey across America<br /><br /><br />May 2, 2005<br /><br /><br />ANDERSON, Ind. -- A man who pedaled 2,400 miles across the country after bypass surgery had given him a second chance at life died of a heart attack one day after completing the trip.<br /><br />Bicycling provided Broc Bebout's ticket to nearly 20 years of good health after quadruple-bypass surgery at age 39, and the cross-country ride served as a testament to his commitment to exercise, said his wife, Patricia Brinkman.<br /><br />However, the day after completing the ride from Carlsbad, Calif., to Brunswick, Ga., the 57-year-old retired Delphi Corp. engineer died about 8 a.m. Thursday near Smyrna, Tenn., on the van drive back to his home in Anderson, about 25 miles northeast of Indianapolis.<br /><br />Pat Miller, a retired Anderson University health professor who also was among about 30 people on the cross-country ride, said Bebout was taking medication for his heart and for arthritis.<br /><br />''He had days he was very good and seemed strong, and he had days he felt like a lot of us did, slower, took longer to get in. I think he was feeling some homesickness. He had a cough for a couple of weeks,'' Miller said.<br /><br />Brinkman said her husband's living to age 57 was itself a victory. After bypass surgery at age 39, he learned to eat right and take care of himself, she said.<br /><br />In an e-mail to her Wednesday before a celebratory steak dinner, Bebout described what the trip had meant to him: ''An incredible experience with incredible people.'' She said he seemed to be thriving when she had joined him on a 60-mile leg last week in Alabama.<br /><br />''It was a trip of a lifetime,'' she said. ''We all have a list of things we like to say we did. That was right up there at the top.''<br /><br />AP<br /><br /><br />Was it the steak dinner, or did he just use up his allotment of miles?

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: What did this guy do wrong ??

First thing I see is INDIANA. Maybe he thought too much about state government spending on worthless projects, then hit a pot hole that never got repaired due to the DOT boys donut break. Just a theory.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What wrong?<br /><br />The guy got 18 more years than he was allotted.<br /><br />The notion that exercise, drugs and eating "healthy" is gonna absolutely prevent heart attacks is about as naive as thinking that smoking is absolutely gonna cause them.

SpinnerBait_Nut

What he ^^^ said. It don't matter. When your number is up, it's up.<br /><br />He did nothing wrong, he enjoyed life to the fullest cause he knows as I do that it can be gone in a blink of an eye.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Carpe Diem, I live by it.<br /><br />Some people just wont live long, it's all in thier genetics.<br /><br />Ken

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> It don't matter. When your number is up, it's up.
Yeah... but what if I'm on the airplane when the pilots number is up?!! ;) :p ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Unless you can fly that thing, you're number is up too :D :D :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory:). you pay your money, roll the die and pray it comes up 7 or 11 :) .<br /> I learned years ago to do what I can today, worry about tomorrow tomorrow and if I die between today and tomorrow it doesnt matter anyway.

SpinnerBait_Nut

That's the problem, everyone wants to live for tomorrow, the weekend, or next week, but they first have to get through today.<br />I am just happy when I wake up the next day.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br /> It don't matter. When your number is up, it's up.
Yeah... but what if I'm on the airplane when the pilots number is up?!! ;) :p ;)
Interesting thought, maybe that's why there's a co-pilot.<br /><br />I believe that God is going to take me when he wants me and not a minute earlier or later. Nothing I do or say will change that. But I don't try to tempt him either.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps God, in His wisdom, sees that, by taking care of one's self, one wishes to stay here a little longer. Having recognized this desire, might not God grant one more time on Earth since he knows that, in time, He has us anyway?

Realgun

Commander

I say if I cannot eat what I want or enjoy life I'd rather be dead.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br /> Yeah... but what if I'm on the airplane when the pilots number is up?!! ;) :p ;)
I guess if your number isn't up, there'll be a novice pilot aboard who will bring the plane down safely. :D :D :D

Twidget

Commander

It might be the celebratory dinner that did him in.<br /><br />My BIL was Mr. Mississippi for body building in the early '90s. He lived on tuna and rice cakes for months while woking out and doing his normal delivery job. He said he was at the point he wasnt dreaming about women anymore, he wanted a big pizza.<br /><br />Anyway, after he won the title, he went out for a big steak dinner. After the work and dieting, it did something to the muscle around his heart. He was really sick for a few days. He was in his early 20's at the time, so I can imagine what that would do to a guy in the condition this cyclist was in.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I had a heart attack in '82 (mild one) then I had triple bypass surgery in '92. It's now 2005 and I am still here and feeling pretty good except for getting older (68 in July). I hope that I have many more years to enjoy this life and my family.