What did I do this time?

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 67 Evinrude 55 HP Electric shift was having shifting problems (wouldn't find neutral for a while after a cold start, then worked well), so I decided to change the fluid. As it turned out, I had quite a bit of water in the lower unit along with the fluid, so i decided to pull the lower unit and re-seal the little cover where the wiring goes in to the gearcase, and re-seal the water pump while I was at it. So I did all that, and now it wont shift at all, it's stuck in forward (which I believe is the default failure mode). What could I have done to cause this? When that little cover came off, so did the two (what appear to be solenoids), for the electric shift, but those I put back exactly as they were removed. I hooked up the wires down there just as they were un-hooked, but even if I did mess that up, wouldn't that just switch neutral and reverse? Thanks for any help here!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: What did I do this time?

Warden....If it was mine, I'd check for water intrusion again. You still got two seals under the water pump and two prop shaft seals and an oring around the bearing carrier.<br /><br />If you fish a lot or are in water that is fished, check in back of the prop where the seals are for any fishing string wrapped up there. String will cut the seals to pieces pretty quick.<br /><br />Barring any water and such, check your voltages at where the shift harness from the controls meet the harness from the lower unit.<br /><br />Here's a write up by Joe Reeves explaining how to check them.<br /><br />(Hydro Electric Shift)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.<br /><br />You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube) <br /><br />In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire. <br />In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one. <br />In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear) <br /><br />To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed. <br /><br />This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).<br /><br />With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.<br /><br />Should help. Keep us posted.....Good Luck!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Warden.... There was no 55hp Evinrude/Johnson engine manufactured in 1967. What is the model number of your engine?

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have confirmed voltage is where it needs to be and when as per OBJ's post. Water intrusion isnt likely as I was running it out of the water, without it ever having been in the water since I changed the fluid. I used Type C and filled it from the lower plug until it was level with the upper plug. <br /><br />Joe...My apologies for the typo, it's a 68, Model number 55873R.<br /><br />Seems to me this has something to do with the shifting solenoids that I removed when i re-sealed that cover. Is there any way those could be messed up just by pulling them out and putting them back in again?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you have an ohm meter, disconnect the power harness at the engine. Read each wire, green and blue to the solenoids, to ground. If I remember right, you should read around 5ohms through each solenoid.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I Ohm'd it out and got no resistance to ground on both wires. I disconnected them where the length that runs up the leg connects to the engine side, and got 0 resistance. Granted I was using an analog meter, but it was a complete short, didnt even register....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well....I think the next thing to do is pull the solenoids out and put them on the bench and apply 12V's to each and see if they will move the rod and re-ohm them. You may have gotten water in them...maybe. Trouble is (with me anyways..... :) ) 5ohms ain't a lot to read and you need a really good meter to read it. <br /><br />Maybe one of the other guys can jump in here and give you some ID's.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea I need a digital meter for sure...How do the solenoids complete the circuit to ground? Are they just grounded through their bodies? Maybe the rubber covers over the connections slid off and they're shorting against the solenoids...Looks like it's off with the lower unit again! This'll be good though, changing the oil again will help it flush out the crap that was in there.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The shift solenoids complete their circuit (ground) thru their metal body being against the lower unit.<br /><br />A short should register a reading on any meter. A open circuit would not.<br /><br />Frankly I prefer a $8.95 (well, they used to be $8.95) meter from Radio Shack to check the ohm reading on items such as those solenoids. Reading should be 5 to 6 ohms.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, a short registered on the meter, hence 0 resistance to ground. I'll try to get my hands on a digital meter.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SUCCESS!<br /><br />I pulled the lower unit again and removed the solenoids to find that the piece that attaches to the bottom of the rod and engages the shift mechanism was sitting at the bottom of the bore there, not attached to the rod. I guess the solenoids were just popping up and down doing nothing since they werent engaged to the mechanism. I reconnected the piece, spent some time getting it re-engaged and put it back together. <br /><br />Now it shifts like it should and it's time for a test in the water.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Had to look for your post Warden.....wanted to see what was happening.......<br /><br />Glad to hear ya' got it going.<br /><br />Just a note.....I would try and get a press/vaccum test done on the lower unit just to make sure it's tight. Nothing like piece of mind while on the water....... :)

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ran it on the water yesterday and it performed beautifully. Any shifting problems it exhibited in the past are now gone. I'll have to check for water intrusion and I want to change the fluid again as part of a flush. If there is still water, I'll get it pressure tested.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a plan Warden. Let us know what's happening. Hope she's OK when you check again.