What defines a "Sport"?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've noticed that most of the "Sports" channels from my DirectTV satellite are loaded with shows about poker.<br /><br />I like poker. Great way for friends to pass an evening and a few bux. Family tradition has the whole family playing poker for pennies on New Year's Eve until midnight.<br /><br />But to me a sport is an athletic contest. Poker is more of a mix of luck (gambling) and mental skill like that required for chess.<br /><br />What's y'all's take on poker as a "sport"?

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: What defines a "Sport"?

If ESPN or FOX can broadcast it , then it is a sport. I always thought of Baseball, football etc as a game. Racing, hunting, fishing is a sport. I guess it is in the mind of the viwer-participant. Poker... It is a game.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I always thought, engaged in for recreation. Just my take.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

No blood No sport :p <br />If poker is a sport then <br />the re-defining of words could be a sport.<br /><br />Anything involving competition between people, animals, oneself and inatament objects is a sport? :rolleyes:

one more cast

Captain

Here you go....<br />
Main Entry: 2sport<br />Function: noun<br />1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in<br />
I say poker is only a sport if you wager your clothes. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

And then there are those that make a sport out of<br />telling blonde jokes. <br /><br />
33.gif
<br /><br /><br />
42.gif

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />[QB] And then there are those that make a sport out of<br />telling blonde jokes.<br />.<br />.<br />. <br />What? :confused: They're fair game

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I play poker. Online at that and it's a lot of fun.<br />Now as it being a sport, that would stretch it quite a bit.<br /><br />See ya at partypoker.com

Fly Rod

Commander

:) hunting and fishing is a sport!!!! ;) :cool:

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some friends and I had about an hour long debate about what constitutes a 'sport' over beer and poker years ago. After all that discussion we realized that we still hadn't come close to a definition we were happy with. <br /><br />Some of the the questions we debated were: Does a sport require head to head competition? Offensive AND defensive components required? What about the ratio of 'athletic skills' vs. 'hand/eye coordination'? Where do pool, darts, auto racing, hunting, and fishing fit in? What is the difference between sports, games, athletics, and outdoorsman activities, etc?<br /><br />Just reminds me that it's been too long since I've had a good drunken poker night debate...<br /><br />p.s. this debate was before those jokers tried to have Bridge (the card game) added as an olympic sport. I'm clear as to where I stand on THAT one.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> No blood No sport :p <br />If poker is a sport then <br />the re-defining of words could be a sport.<br /><br />Anything involving competition between people, animals, oneself and inatament objects is a sport? :rolleyes:
Well, now...ain't ya ever heard of sportin' between men and women???

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, yes I have. Some people call it poker. ;) :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I think a game involves competition, and a sport involves athletics, so football is a sport, and a football game is a game. Unless you're a professional football player, in which case football is a job, but the game is still a game. <br /><br />Fishing is a sport, and a fishing tournament is a game. Hunting is a sport, and game is game. <br /><br />Poker is a game but not a sport. <br /><br />Solitaire is neither a sport nor a game; it's an exercise. <br />No, it's not. <br />Yes it is! <br />No it is not, it's a game! <br />Okay, for you it's a game. <br />You mean for me it's a game. <br />For us it's a game? <br />Good enough.

KaGee

Admiral

JB<br /><br />You'll never guess what the next "Official" Olympic event is....<br /><br />BALLROOM DANCING!<br />
5_5_137.gif
<br />Talk about sport!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> And then there are those that make a sport out of<br />telling blonde jokes. <br /><br />
33.gif
<br /><br /><br />
42.gif
And your point? :eek:

SoulWinner

Commander

I think this question leads to "consideration" versus "definition" of the term "sport." I use a metal detector, and some call metal detecting a "sport." I think that stretches the definition, but I see how it can clearly be "considered" a sport based on what seems to pass for "sports" these days. Like bowling; how can anyone with my physique be in top shape for any sport? Try bowling! <br /><br />Also, anyone who fishes, particularly for bass, knows that the luck/skill ratio is about the same as for poker, so if fishing is a sport, then clearly poker should reasonably earn the same consideration too.<br /><br />Here is a good question, what would you rather watch on TV? I would choose fishing.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> Well, yes I have. Some people call it poker. ;) :p
ROTFLMREO!!!!! Big, yer killin' me!!! :D :D :D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Sorry folks but there are only four true sports:<br /><br />Huntin, fishin, football and hockey!<br /> The rest are just hobbies like sewing or knitting :D :p <br />(Ok ok maybe just three sports this year cuzza the hockey lockout). :(

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, so I hate to tell y'all...<br /><br />The only people that consider "fishing" a sport are people that fish. Contrast this with football, which almost everybody would agree is a sport, even those that don't/have never played.

mattttt25

Commander

man, i've had the same heated debate on this topic so many times, i can't keep track. i now understand that this topic, to few, can be as bad as abortion or politics.<br /><br />i only consider an activity a sport if it is a physical competition, between humans, with set rules and regulations. football, baseball, hockey, basketball, wrestling, tennis, etc are all sports by that (my) definition.<br /><br />i don't even consider track and field or other similar events sports. my buddy, who is a runner, and i almost came to blows over this. my take is if i'm faster than you on that day, i win. no skill there. no unforeseens, unless i fall. he wasn't buying it, but i never saw it his way.<br /><br />hunting and fishing don't meet my definition. while i fish often, and know how difficult it can be, no sport in my book. unless maybe, i want to jump in and go after them with bare hands.