What damage did bowline around prop cause?

Kplusten

Cadet
Son called last evening from boat out on the creek to say that1991 Evinrude VE25ELEID stopped suddenly and would not restart. Was safely underway using electric trolling motor in the dark. At lift, he noticed that bowline was tight as a drum around prop shaft. Cleared it, and started motor but was surprised that it was in reverse instead of neutral. Shut down and called me again to ask for advice. Won't type what I said. I know nothing about the clutch dog operation and am seeking advice on what to troubleshoot. Is it possible for the remote shifter to allow starting in the neutral position even though the motor is in gear?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I seriously doubt it caused any damage to the clutch dog. I suppose if the remote control was forced, some damage may have occurred to it. Double check that in the excitement some simple thing wasn't overlooked.

Last time it happened to me, it cut the anchor rope and I lost a nice Danforth Anchor. Oops.....

if the boat was started on the lift the prop may spin slowly even if its not in gear. If you can safely reach the prop see if it turns free or if its really in gear (engine not running)

Kplusten

Cadet
Believe you are correct. Jonboat was barely touching bunks in strong wind/current when he started engine at fast idle and boat backed up. Told him to check remote cable adjustment for fwd/rev and all seems in order although the shift lever is way forward of the center mark on case side in neutral. Couldn't find any guidelines in manual for this. Will check it out next visit. Read a good article that said bowline should never be longer than body of boat, and now we know why. Thanks for inputs.