What causes a vro engine to run rich

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Getting a great education on this forum and I'm still trying to troubleshoot the reasons my 140 rude vro stalls after warmuup and gear engagement. Runs great sometimes at W.O.T and sometimes she bogs down. For the exception of 1 plug, all look a little on the blackish side. ALL 4 of the them throw off a couple of drops of water if you shake them after engine has been ran. Removed water from gas this past week. Wondering if running rich could be the culprit. What causes engines to run rich<br />besides an obvious faulty VRO pump.Cleaned the carbs(spray cleaned them but didn't disassemble)My hunch is they aren't gummed up because when she runs,she hits 40-45 mph (very smooth). I've always used fuel stabilizer when I winterized the engine.<br />Never tried to run the carbs dry because my manual says that can cause problems because it is a vro Thanks for your reply

D

DJ

Re: What causes a vro engine to run rich

Sal,<br /><br />I think you answered your own questions. If you had/have water in the fuel system, it's not going to run right.<br /><br />Since you did, or do still have, water in the system, a carb. rebuild is in order.<br /><br />The only other way a plug can get water on it is due to a fualty head gasket. You may have that issue since one plug looks a little "different" from the rest.