What came first?

oddjob

Commander
Hey, I was trying to explain the history of of TV dinners and the TV tray to my kids and could only assume. Anyone know how it all began?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What came first?

The TV tray was brought about from the trays on airlines that they served the food on, just a little refinement.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

TV trays? In my house, they're called the supper table, lol!

LadyFish

Admiral

All I remember about TV trays and TV dinners was us kids actually thought it was a treat when we got them. My Mom was an excellent cook, but her kitchen was like a science lab. Us kids were guinea pigs for a lot of her concoctions. It was nice to have fried chicken mashed potatoes and peas for a change. :D

Link

Rear Admiral

TV Dinners<br />They may have changed the name in 1962 but it's still used to this day :) <br />Got one once in the early 60's when spending the weekend at a Aunts house in the city.<br />To this day I still consider them a treat!<br />One that I don't get very often :(

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

The first ones were Swanson's Fried Chicken and they were awful. As I recall, they had green peas and mashed potatos as the side dishes. I mean REALLY AWFUL.

LadyFish

Admiral

Jack those are the ones I remember. The peas shriveled up and were hard as stones. :eek: