What Brand of Motor for salt?

mtumilty

Cadet
I know I will be opening a huge can of worms, but here it goes anyways. :D <br />I am in the process of shopping for a used 1996-2003 18-23' CC or WA with 90-150 hp mainly to be used in Tampa Bay and short near-shore trips into the Gulf. I have seen Yammies, Johnies and Mercs. For these years which one would you chose with all other factors the same? Any known problems for any of these for these years? :confused:

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: What Brand of Motor for salt?

ive seen 40 year old evinrudes and mercurys around there. heck i have a 72 evinrude 50hp, a 76 merc 115 and a 73 evinrude 6hp that all love the salt! i like to say that the imports dont like the salt as much, but rodbolt gets pissed at me when i say that :)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Johnsons and Evinrudes were reknowned in the "old days" for holding up in salt water. Mercury's were not. However that's all changed with the newer motors that you're considering and it's a pretty level playing field now. Pick the motor that you like that's in good condition and it will give good service in salt or fresh water. I would steer clear of OMC Ficht motors for these years. They were troublesome, to say the least.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The variable you should be looking for is not salt water friendly as all of the ones you listed are. The most important variable is the care that it has been give by the present owner and it's condition.<br /><br />I'm partial to OMCs. I have a pair of 1987 110s on a 23' CC that I run out to the Gulf Stream every now an again. I also have a 1975 9.9 in the garage.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buddy (who fishes commercially) in Alaska would tell you Honda, and never a Mercury. Says Mercurys go through the lower units like crazy. Honda is king up there.

BillP

Captain

If you flush them well I don't think there will be a huge difference. Spray the engine down with CRC 2-26 and it will stay perfect on the outside too. Nothing beat OMC for corrosion resistance a few years back but who knows now? <br /><br />My local mech says...Suzuki was the worst but are getting better. Merc is better than Yamaha on resistance to lower leg corrosion...even though the powerheads are same.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ditto to BillP's post.. <br /><br />how religiously you flush the engine on return to trailer is going to say a lot about the projected lifespan. If she'll sit in a marina, make sure you flush it after each run out...<br /><br />look at it this way... at least you won't have any extended freeze to worry about!!<br /><br />Hey... does this mean that you should only buy boats from the south so you won't have to be afraid of how the old owners winterized?!?!?!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In the last ten years( at different times) we have been an authorized dealer for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Nissan/Tohatsu and Mercury. They all are the same for saltwater related problems.....zero problems that were not caused by poor maintenance.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Stay away from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury, Tohatsu, and Nissan! The best most reliable means for salt are a good pair of oars! Easy on gas, lasts a lifetime, gets rid of beer gut, low smoke and non polluting, starts on first pull, fairly light, easy to winterize, and cheap initial investment. <br /><br />
smi-rowboat.gif

phatmanmike

Captain

Originally posted by JayH:<br /> My buddy (who fishes commercially) in Alaska would tell you Honda, and never a Mercury. Says Mercurys go through the lower units like crazy. Honda is king up there.
hondas use merc lower units. :)

mtumilty

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice/opinions! I will post a pic when I find the next addition to the mini-marina that is my backyard. :cool: :) :cool:

Realgun

Commander

Cobra how much H.P. in them thar oars?

spoonbil

Cadet

Yamaha, based on personal experience (1990 Yamaha, 1998 Yahama, 2000 Evinrude) and many other opinions!

phatmanmike

Captain

i like the yamercuhaondukirudesons. i hear they now have a tripple plug per cylinder , inline 12 cylinder that makes 298hp at idle

mtumilty

Cadet

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> i like the yamercuhaondukirudesons. i hear they now have a tripple plug per cylinder , inline 12 cylinder that makes 298hp at idle
:eek: I gotta get one of those, if I can find a boat to handle it ;) !

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Phatman, Isn't that motor called the Viagro? ... Those are awesome, especially in salt water.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wonder if I can put a turbo on that..............

sort

Seaman Apprentice

Yamaha<br /><br />Spent a week in Aruba with the wife last winter and noticed that almost all of the local beach boats were running Yamahas....and these boats were very abused and spent their lives in the water with no fresh water flush.