What brand auxillary?

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now, I know there is a lot of brand loyalty and that each individual motor should be checked for condition. But are there any small outboards that should be avoided? I am trying to purchase a second hand 4-8hp outboard (2 stroke)of 1980's or so vintage and wondering if there have been any lemons!! <br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What brand auxillary?

Not lemons, Matt, but noisy, smoky, smelly and "buzzy" are the single cylinder air cooled engines based on lawnmower and chainsaw engines. I would avoid them for those reasons.<br /><br />About any of the water cooled twins of the period are very nice engines. I personally favor the JohnnyRudes, but there are those who favor Mercs.<br /><br />I don't know about parts and service availability of the Tohatsu, Yamaha and Suzuki engines in NZ, but here in the US you can get parts and service for OMC and Merc engines anywhere. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Your forgetting the 2 cylinder 4 hp Merc Gnat, JB. They only made them up into the very early eighties, but watch out for them.<br /><br />Actually, they can be made to run right. But it took me a year to do it. <br /><br />The 6/8/7.5hp johnny/rudes would be my favorite there. The yammi/mariner 6/5hp 1 lunger from the late 80s would be the cheaper (and noisier) option. Watch out for corrosion on them though.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Getting the right hp auxiliary is very important (Duhhh!!). Too big and they can be difficult to get on & off the transom due to weight. Too small and they won't have enough oomph to give you satisfactory control in any kind of wind or waves. I would follow Paul's recommendation for anything under 17-19'. I would go with an OMC 70s-80s 9.9/15 long shaft for 20-25'er.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. The boat is a 15ft fibreglass. I have been borrowing a 89 suzuki 6hp which is perfect but the owner now wants it back. There are plenty of 70's-80's johnnyrudes and mercs for sale cheap over here but i wasnt sure how good they are! Although, I guess there isn't much to a little pull start twin...

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the old OMC Motors. The older Johnson 15 horse is a good motor. Stay away from Chrysler/Force the others would be good.