What Boat to Buy

Gremlin

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at getting a used boat for Saltwater fishing and would like feedback on these models: '96 Century 23' WAC w/Yamaha 200hp 2 stroke, '03 Pro Sports 20' WAC w/Suzuki 140hp 4 stroke, '96 Key West 20' WAC w/Yamaha 175 hp 2 stroke, '96 SeaSwirl 22' WAC w/ '03 Yamaha 150hp 4 stroke.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. All of the boats are in the same price range, and as you can see I'm looking for one with a cabin, so if there's something else you'd recommend please let me know.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Boat to Buy

'96 SeaSwirl 22' WAC w/ '03 Yamaha 150hp 4 stroke: Way under powered

'96 Key West 20' WAC w/Yamaha 175 hp 2 stroke: OK. Out of business

'03 Pro Sports 20' WAC w/Suzuki 140hp 4 stroke: Short on HP. Out of business

'96 Century 23' WAC w/Yamaha 200hp 2 stroke: Minimum powered

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seaswirl has made some very nice riding boats. Yamaha F150 would be alright for power, but not crazy fast.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

'96 Key West 20' WAC w/Yamaha 175 hp 2 stroke: OK. Out of business. so what, there are alot of boats that the company is not around anymore. this is a nice handling boat.

chiefalen

Captain

I'm with TD on the so what if the co. is out of business.

But the power is another question. I like Evinrude, Johnson, Merc ocean.

I heard Japan puts out nice power but me never had one and parts are a byatch and more money.

Just my 2 cents, i didn't see Grady White on your list, that is the standard and a little older don't matter it's a Grady.

Me i lust for A Grady walk around, twin 150's thats the ticket maybe a gil bracket.

You might pay a little more but you will never need another boat as long as you live.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

My buddy runs a 19' Keywest CC off the coast of MA/RI. It's a excelent boat and capable of some serious water. He has had zero issues with it in the 5 years he's had it.

That said, I WAY preffer the WAC style on any boats. CC's leave you and your guests exposed to sun, spray and rain while eating up the whole center of the boat. WAC's give you (usually) better visability/trim ( due to forward placement) and more protected /wrapped space without sacrafice of fishing room. ( This is my opinion based on use vs any study BTW)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

'96 Key West 20' WAC w/Yamaha 175 hp 2 stroke: OK. Out of business. so what, there are alot of boats that the company is not around anymore. this is a nice handling boat.

I only stated facts. You take from it what you want. :confused:

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat is so old that they (Sportcraft) went out of business and now they are back in business:D glad I held on to it:D