What boat do you recommend?

lfd1300

Recruit
Hi<br />I have never owned a boat and I am thinking of venturing into the world of boat ownership. I am interested in a boat that I can take out into the Gulf of Mexico (5-10 miles offshore) for short scuba diving trips. I'm looking for something used that I can take out of the water and leave in dry storage for weeks at a time. I'm thinking something in the 20-25 ft. range, but I'm trying to keep the price in the $10k - $15k range. I've seen some Bayliners rather cheap, but after reading some posts on the forum I'm not sure if that's really what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions as to model, size, engine, etc that I should be looking for? Also, what kind of care and maintenance will be required? Any suggestions are welcome.<br /><br />Marc

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What boat do you recommend?

I don't know the waters you are talking about, but generally to go out 10 miles into open saltchuck as a new boater for the money you want to spend and the size of boat, I think you will have to compromise. You want to go used and concentrate on the hull design (deep v or whaler),the transom/<br />hull/stringer/floor/fuel tank condition and mechanical reliability and sacrifice everything else, especially looks and gadgets and maybe speed too. I prefer an outboard over an inboard for cost of maintenance in salt water use but you may get more bang for your buck with an inboard. I also suggest you stick around 19-21' to keep your horsepower/fuel/trailering requirements manageable and save some of that budget for what you figure out you need after you get it home. <br /><br />IMHO don't touch a bayliner although there are certainly many out there still afloat. I'd say an older heavy fg sportfish boat (some 1970's boats have less rot in them than some 1990's boats) of a proven design (Reballo, Whaler, Grady White, local builders?)with a recent 150hp plus outboard would be good, or even buying one cheap with a beat motor and immediately rebuilding or repowering. <br />You also really need to find some kind of knowledgeable friend or dealer to check out the motor and boat for you for any used boat -- they can all rot. Good luck and beware the boat that looks too good to be true!