What battery should I use?

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 sea ray 180 that needs a new battery the current one is toast. I have a 200 watt cd player with 4 speakers that I hooked up in the boat. My father said to be careful listening to it if your not running the boat bcauee it will die quick. I was curious are the any batteries that maybe are a little better than others. I know advance has the newer model like deep cycle ones with the 3 different cells or something that are expensive I didn't know if something like that may last longer. I really don't want to add another battery. Anybody with an opinion or some advice thank you!

Re: What battery should I use?

The best batteries I have had is the Trojan brand. But the price has thriped for the battery of the last 7 years so when I went to replace it I replaced it with a Die Hard Platimum, so far it is working fine for running my live wells and radio all day without running the big engine. But no matter what battery you chose, I would install a battery switch with another battery just for peace of mind.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

What about if I ad a battery. I found gel cell batteries peoples use on kayaks. They say they've used it like 12 hours on fish finders or even days. They come with a charger so I was thinking I could use that and just take it with me and charge it at home before next trip out. What do you guys think?

I have two deep cycle batteries for running my trolling motor and one starting battery for starting and running all the electronics on the boat. I have an onboard charger that charges and maintains all 3 batteries when not using the boat. But if you only have one battery I would install a battery switch and and an extra battery just so you don't get stranded. You don't have the option like me to carry a set of jumper cables and jump the main battery off the trolling motor batteries. Talked my friend into adding a second battery on his offshore rig, and I'm glad he did cause about a month after putting it in one of his batteries went dead and it was nice being able to turn a switch and start it off the other battery.