What are these?

skyking_22

Cadet
I just removed my outdrive in order to pull my engine so I could replace a bad flywheel. These creatures were in the exhaust port of the outdrive. Anyone know what they are and if they are needed?

Bob

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What are these?

They are the exhaust shutters or flappers. They keep water from backing up into the motor on a sudden stop or if a wave crashes the back of the boat. If you research them on here, you'll find some say they are essential and others not so much. I'd replace them if it were mine. They go in at the top of the y-pipe.

RMCSURWAR

Recruit

SKyking,

Jam is correct - I just had my exhaust system replaced and these guys were in the partslist from the marina. My mech said that they are not essential for operation, but water backflow would be prevented by these guys and he recommended I add them. He's a reliable mech and doesn't add stuff just to inflate my bill - based on his recommendation - I now have new ones!

TilliamWe

Banned

How well was the boat running? Thos things clogging the exhaust can cause a real problem.

Since you are going to have the motor out, replaceing them will be as easy as it can be. I say put in new ones. I replaced mine, even when I was sure they hadn't been in there for years, with no problems. Not very expensive and I felt better when I got done. And I am Cheap!

skyking_22

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I feel that if they were put in by the MFG then they most likely belong. I will replace them.

skyking_22

Cadet

All, thanks for the info. Replaced then while I had the motor out. Very Easy

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are the heels and the toes off of Sammy Davis shoes ! :D