What are these on my inline 6? Pictures attached.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am going through this motor, cleaning it up where it needs cleaning. I have pretty much covered all areas of it except for cracking the case open, which I plan NOT to do. It has good compression, so no worries there.

I have run across two hoses that I would like to know the function of. I would also like to know if they need to be replaced/checked for something. My manual does not call them out, so I am going to assume that they are just bypass/equalizing hoses? Anyways, take a look and let me know what you know if you please.

Oh yeah, what is the "plug" in the last photo for? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Hose 1.jpg
    Hose 1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hose 2.jpg
    Hose 2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • Hose 3.jpg
    Hose 3.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0

emckelvy

Commander
Re: What are these on my inline 6? Pictures attached.

The small lines are oil scavenging lines, picks up excess oil from the bottom and routes to the top. If they're cracked, replace, if in good shape no maint. is required.

The large hoses are crankcase balance tubes, same comment as above.

The pipe plug in your cyl block water jacket cover is a convenient place to install a water pressure gage. Mighty nice of Merc to put it there!!!!

BTW it's a nice, clean-looking motor. Should give you lots of good service.

HTH..........ed

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what I thought about the hoses myself. I have a chrysler that has them also, but there are also cylinder drain screens back behind the covers that need to be cleaned every now and then. I didnt know if this motor might have some also.

It is a clean motor. The wiring was shot on it, so I am repairing that as we speak. I hope to have it running, if not there will be more questions to follow. lol

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a small rubber hose on the top of all three carbs block this small hose with a small ball bearing. It was put in place in the 70's to save on gas. With todays fuels being so thin this tube can cause a lean condition wiping out your power head.