What are the differences in Cobra Outdrives?

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the market to either have my outdrive rebuilt, buy a rebuilt one, or buy used one. The more I think about buying a used one it scares me as you just don't know what you've got. Could be solid, could fly in 10 hours.<br /><br />Anyway, if I choose to buy a used one what are the differences in them? My model # is 983842 it's an 86 on a 4.3. Is it a 800 or a 400 Cobra? <br /><br />Will one from a 4 cylinder work on mine or are there differences?

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What are the differences in Cobra Outdrives?

400 and 800 series drives are prior to Cobra. I think Cobra started in 86 but I am not sure. If you truely have a Cobra it is not so bad to buy a rebuilt or rework yours (at a shop I suggest as you need special tools to do it). If you have one of the older models, well I am sorry because you are likely to have issues getting parts and some one to work on them. By the way, IF you have a Cobra and a budget, I understand from Don S here thet you can convert the Cobra to Volvo SX but costs a few bucks. Search for his posting on this. Photo looked really nice.

redblur

Seaman Apprentice

I know it's a Cobra, but what was confusing me was that in some places, Doug Russell Marine for one, was showing a 400 and a 800 Cobra. The link Ralph posted explained that. Thanks Ralph<br /><br />So there is a difference between the small and large gearcases. Let me get this straight - yes I can be a little slow :) :confused: <br /><br />The small gearcases were used on the 4 cylinder engines <br /><br />The large gearcases were used on the V6s and small V8s<br /><br />The King Cobra was used for the big blocks?<br /><br />So a cobra from a 4 cylinder won't work on my 4.3, or at least shouldn't be used. <br /><br />Correct?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Some people use the 400/800 terms with Cobras, but they date from the stringer series.<br />For Cobras, the V-6 and small block V-8 used the same lower, the 4 cyl used the same upper but a differnt lower, and the King/460 used a completely different and bigger lower. The upper housings seemed to be the same for all but with different ratios depending on the engine as far as I could tell. <br />so if you have 4.3 you need to use the V-6/V-8 lower and it has to have the correct gear ratio for the V-6, the one for the 4 cyl will not be right for your boat. Also the upper ratios were different.<br />For the 4.3 the ratios are:<br />Upper 21:19<br />lower 14:26<br />overall is 1.68:1<br />The above applies to the dog clutch models 86-93, there was a King dog clutch up to 89, then in 1990 a cone clutch King came out, much bigger, very few sold.<br />From 94 on they were redesigned and made with the Volvo style cone clutch with shifting in the upper unit.<br />If you can't get good service on the OMC the Volvo conversion over the long term makes sense.