What are good floor choices for basement?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
As part of the basement finishing project, I will be putting down some finished flooring over the concrete slab. I would like to do a combo of laminate flooring and very short pile carpet. Or sheet flooring (like kitchen) and carpet. House built in '92 with 'floating' slab floor. There are stress reliefs cut into the concrete that have cracks in them as well as some stray cracks. I plan to seal them with thinset morter or silicone caulk. There is a radon pump with pipes under the floor if that makes a difference. <br /><br />I have put vinyl tiles down with mastic and ceramic tile with thinset morter on basement floors before with no problems. But I have not done wood laminate or carpet. What should I look out for?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: What are good floor choices for basement?

Mark, your going to have to put down a moisure barrier. Carpet will mold below grade, and laminate will swell up and bubble the finish when installed below grade. There are systems that is available at your local Lowes/Home Depot.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Stay away from Lowes/Home Depot. They sell the cheaper line of products. For the same $$$, you can have the top of the line products delivered to your door.<br /><br />I put down about 1000 square feet of laminate. I got the commercial Pergo that has a lifetime warranty and has the upgraded core material CHEAPER than if I bought the contractor grade at Home Depot.<br /><br />www.floorshop.com<br /><br />This is the place I bought mine from and the customer service was excellent. I had an issue with 1 carton and they overnighted 2 more cartons to me just to make sure that I had enough.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech topic.