What are baseline temps on exhaust manifolds/risers on 1989 Mercruiser 5.7L

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From previous threads I have had with my 1989 Mercruiser 5.7L with possible overheating issue. I changed the t-stat from 165 degrees to 142 degrees, new impellar, and new water hose from upper drive housing transom. With the motor on the muffs for 20 minutes at idle and temp guage at 142 degrees, what is the ?ideal? temp the manifolds should be at and the ?ideal? temp the riser should be at. I cleaned out both manifolds at both ends and have collected ? ounces of kitty litter sized metal fragments. Now I do know that all engines run differently, but what are some ?baseline? temps that I can refer to. My boat is about an hour away and the HOA doesn?t like a 30 foot Regal in my driveway that long for diagnosing. The motor temp still tends to increase when I give it throttle at 1500 rpm, but goes down when it is returned to idle. I was kind of hoping to get an idea of to look for before I start ordering parts. I have flushed both manifolds and risers for upwards of 30 seconds 4 or 5 times.

tpenfield

Staff member
Does it have oil coolers? Those can get partially clogged and give the symptoms you are seeing.

Bondo

Staff member
what is the ?ideal? temp the manifolds should be at and the ?ideal? temp the riser should be at.

Ayuh,..... Under 180?,....

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant tell you exact number but I know mine the manifold s and risers are about the same temperature and cool to mildly warm to the touch.