What a Day!

aspeck

Staff member
Well, I always wonder why no one wants to ride with me when we go hunting. I guess today is a good reason. This should almost be put in stupid human tricks, except it was not human error, at least not entirely. Let me explain today.<br /><br />We get to the launch ramp and it is 22 degrees. No problem, we are bundled up and ready for a good day of hunting. There is another group of hunters there, so as I put in the plug, I am talking with them. We back the boat in and are off for a great day.<br /><br />Well, we get to the end of the "No Wake" zone, and the back of the bass boat is at water level, and my butt is getting wet. I tell my brother (he is driving) to give it the gas. Well, the front goes straight up in the air and the people on the shore think we are goners, that the boat is going over. Fortunately the 88spl has enough power, and I climb to the front of the boat, nose comes down, and we get the water out of the boat.<br /><br />We make our plan to get the boat back in to the ramp, and the throttle is stuck ... nearly WOT! We can not slow down or stop! I get on the radio and call my other brother who has his pontoon there. He comes up beside us and I throw him my keys for the tow rig. He gets it in the water and we hit the ramp wide open. Interesting way to bring the boat in, but it worked.<br /><br />The plug was missing when we finally got out of the water. Apparently when I was talking I didn't double check it and there must have been some ice that prevented it from seating.<br /><br />The Rangers came flying into the ramp to fine us for going to fast in a no wake zone. When they heard the story they laughed so hard, and as they were pulling out said our boat was leaking (it was still draining at the ramp)!<br /><br />On a brighter note, I did get a 7 pointer.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: What a Day!

Whew! How would you have spelled 'hypothermia"? Brrrrr. Glad your plan to converge with dry land worked out good.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the buck.<br /><br />So, why did the throttle stick?

aspeck

Staff member

I think there must have been ice that froze on the linkage. I did not take the cowl off when I got it back on the trailer, we were too anxious to chase deer, but when we got back in the afternoon, it was working.

KaGee

Admiral

Did ya miss the memo about checking that the plug was in??<br /><br />I think that's happened to most of us once.... that's usually all it takes. ;) <br /><br />Nice buck too!