What a crappy way to end the season...

FSTHUH

Seaman
So Saturday me and my buddie decided to take the boat out on our local *shallow river...(bad idea from the start)...we were there for few hours, kickin' it back and enjoying the day.. so we decided to take it for a short drive...3 minutes into it....BOOM.. we hit something..neither one of us seen what it was..water was 19ft deep at this spot.. boat seemed running fine. We were 2 min from the ramp anyway so we right away went to take the boat out. After we took it out I noticed that prop was intact however the force of the impact broke my Gimbal ring. :(. I took it back to a dealer where I bought the boat and got an estimate for my insurance.

$2,900 for everything...crappy part...my deductible is a $1,000...even crappier my buddie was driving the boat at the time of the impact.

I am having delaer fix the boat as we speak. He said it will be weeks before I get it back. So much for the season.

Leasson learned...
never go to a shallow watter,
never let anyone drive your boat,
always get a smaller deductible.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What a crappy way to end the season...

I feel for ya. I have three sections of gelcoat that need repaired this fall. And I never saw what we hit, and I was not driving. So I kinda know how you feel. The big difference is my boat can still be used and my deduct. is only $100.00.

At least nobody was thrown or hurt.

FSTHUH

Seaman

I feel for ya. I have three sections of gelcoat that need repaired this fall. And I never saw what we hit, and I was not driving. So I kinda know how you feel. The big difference is my boat can still be used and my deduct. is only $100.00.

At least nobody was thrown or hurt.

I am not blaming him by any means..I probablly would of done the same thing..it's juts the point..I would of felt much better if it was me that did it..

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ooops, sorry if that is hoow it came out. I did not mean that. I do not blame my buddy either. I could/would have hit the same thing. My buddy feels bad though. He offered to pay the deduct and I told him no way!
I know what you mean about the driving thing. It is like letting someone use your truck and the trans goes out. It would have happened to me, but they were in it at the time. That is how I look at it.

Now, if you are doing something crazy and break it...all deals off.

45Auto

Commander

Leasson learned...
never go to a shallow watter,
never let anyone drive your boat,
always get a smaller deductible.

Or learn to do it yourself.
Brand new take-off gimbal ring = $225
JR Marine Cover Plate Kit = $52

4 hours to replace the ring and you're back on the water.

FSTHUH

Seaman

Ooops, sorry if that is hoow it came out. I did not mean that. I do not blame my buddy either. I could/would have hit the same thing. My buddy feels bad though. He offered to pay the deduct and I told him no way!
I know what you mean about the driving thing. It is like letting someone use your truck and the trans goes out. It would have happened to me, but they were in it at the time. That is how I look at it.

very true...

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That does suck -- I am very sorry to hear that.

However, I differ from you on one point. If I am in my boat, I am in control no matter who is driving the boat. If we hit something, its my fault, not his, hers, etc. I am captain, even if behind the boat on a 75 foot rope on skis.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is like letting someone use your truck and the trans goes out. It would have happened to me, but they were in it at the time. That is how I look at it.

I see it very differently. Borrowing your truck to go haul something and it breaks is one thing, but you and your buddy are both in your truck and you have him driving for some reason, and it breaks is the parallel to the situation we are talking about.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

hate to hear that the season is over for you- would be nice if they could fix it sooner- good luck

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see it very differently. Borrowing your truck to go haul something and it breaks is one thing, but you and your buddy are both in your truck and you have him driving for some reason, and it breaks is the parallel to the situation we are talking about.

That is not what I am saying. If something is going to go wrong, it does not matter to me who is driving. I do not blame the other guy. It could have been me driving and done the exact same thing.
I used the "truck" reference as an example only of my view on how things can, are, and do go wrong. And absolutely nobody does anything crazy on my boat. Myself included.

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So Saturday me and my buddie decided to take the boat out on our local *shallow river...(bad idea from the start)...we were there for few hours, kickin' it back and enjoying the day.. so we decided to take it for a short drive...3 minutes into it....BOOM.. we hit something..neither one of us seen what it was..water was 19ft deep at this spot..

Dumb question - 19' is considered shallow? Or did you go from a shallow part to a 19' section (of the river).

And sorry to hear about your end of summer blues.

FSTHUH

Seaman

Guys, don't get me wrong...I am not blaming my buddie at all..It just sucks that it happened to him on my boat..that's all I am saying.. watter was much more shallower than 19' and everything was fine and this crap happens to us at much deeper end (right around 19ft) where we thought we were safe.

And thank but no thanks on learning how to change this piece on my own.. Brand new boat...I can see myself going from spending a grand to a 5 grand total...I would rather man up and pay 1K in deductible than try to go cheaper route and mess up more things on the boat. After reading some "how to" on changing the Gimbal Ring..I got sick to my stomach..

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

That sucks!! Do you have to bring it back to the dealer to fix?? Will the insurance still pay if you brought it somewhere else that can get it done sooner, and get you back on the water. Or are they the only one you called?

FSTHUH

Seaman

That sucks!! Do you have to bring it back to the dealer to fix?? Will the insurance still pay if you brought it somewhere else that can get it done sooner, and get you back on the water. Or are they the only one you called?

yeah I had 3 different estimates done..and they are all within $175 appart. So i decided to get it done at the original dealer that deals with these boats. Part alone is $500. I've checked it out at 6 different places including the internet.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

yeah I had 3 different estimates done..and they are all within $175 appart. So i decided to get it done at the original dealer that deals with these boats. Part alone is $500. I've checked it out at 6 different places including the internet.

Man, sorry to hear you have to wait so long! I get depressed just even thinking of the end of boating season, I have got to get a garage.

Flying Sushi

Seaman

I feel for you? I have done that myself?.. Last year we went out on the Lake where we thought know very well?. Depth finder was showing consistently 15? to 20? feet deep?.. then ?BANG??. We hit??.something.... I gues we did not know everything....... $7200+ damage on a brand new boat?..
One good thing was this happened on our last day of the season and we had entire winter to repair it. My dealer did a perfect job to fix our boat. Funny thing is our boat feels run much smoother now than before?..

FSTHUH

Seaman

here are the pics of damage..:(

DSCF3544.jpg

DSCF3546.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me last year, 12' of water. Came off plane and KACHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK. Bent prop shaft and full leg rebuild. I learned that when running in unfamiliar water, I'll definitely use my aluminum prop next time. I had the steel one on, and IT was mangled, the shock just went up the line. Oh yeah, and a few hundred bucks to have the SS prop rebuilt on top of all that.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No one uses my Harley..no one drives my boat...no one uses my truck..
no problems..
when and if, you ever sell or trade your boat..its a good thing to have had the original dealer do the work.Shows your track record on maintaince & repair..it tells a potential buyer you take care of your stuff.