Whassup in Southern FLA right now?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
I'll be leaving Winter behind in a couple of days for a vacation in the Florida Everglades and Keys. My wife and I plan on spending as much time as possible on or in the water. I'm bringing a pole and some snokeling gear with me and would like to fish in the ocean. I'm an inland fisherman though and I've never cast into the sea. We'll be sticking to shallow waters, beaches, canoe rentals, etc., and a sea plane trip out to the Dry Tortugas.<br /><br />I'd just like to know what I need to be careful to avoid (like jellyfish?) and what fishing opportunities might be high this time of year. I'm just in this for the fun and am not trying to prove anything. I know I'd like to try and catch some Snook in the Everglades, and I'd also like to catch a Barracuda. I will be releasing everything. Are there any fish I should cut loose and not touch for my own safety (stinging, biting) or the fishes safety (protected or fragile species).<br /><br />What kind of license should I aquire for saltwater only fishing? If I walk into a tackle shop, what three baits/lures should I buy for some all purpose (if there is such a thing) fishing? (Keep in mind, I'm a Panfisherman, I like to catch a bunch of scrappy fish in a day rather than spend my whole vacation on a quest to land the catch of my life, although a Barracuda would really make me happy!)<br /><br />I'm leavin' Friday, yes THIS Friday and CAN'T WAIT!!!!<br /><br />Thanks y'all!<br />Calico

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Whassup in Southern FLA right now?

hey calicokid,<br /><br />the fishing down here is hot right now. i'll try to keep this short. snook season is open, but you'll need a permit, get it when you get your lisence only couple of bucks. live shrimp is probably your all around best bait.try to keep them alive (airator). bring popping corks. you rig them up with a 3/0 circle hook and a small split shot, 2ft 30# mono leader. snook have a sharp gill plate you can lip them like bass. you can find them around the bridges in the keys or any other cover especially at low light conditions. cuda will naturally be in the mix so will sea trout, tarpon, and snapper. the jelly's are around, and so are the sharks just keep an eye out for them. <br /><br />where in the everglades do you plan on going?? its pretty vast, lake okeechobee and south to flamingo is considered (everglades)....

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Hi cwilt,<br /> We will be up in the vicinity of Everglades City and Marco Island for a couple of days (1000 Islands?), then a couple more days down by Flamingo. We are then driving out to Key West and flying to Fort Jefferson on Dry Tortugas for a day. We will be around Key West for a few days total and then work our way back up the Keys over the last few days. I believe we'll be staying in Marathon for a day or two, I hear the fishing is good there? I know we're covering a lot of ground in a short time but that's how we do it, so much to see so little time right?<br /><br />I thank you very much for the great info, I'll be printing this thread before I leave Friday so I'll have some guidance to refer to while I'm out there.<br /><br />I've been told that the beach fishing is best in late afternoon with an outgoing tide, sound right? <br /><br />Thanks again, I'm really going to enjoy this vacation, even if I can't catch fish!!<br /><br />Calico

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

CalicoKid.. Might I suggest you try one of the party boats.. Some do half-day trips and most provide all that you'd need.. Bait, rod, the whole deal.. They do all the hard work, you just reel em' up!.. :D Best way to hook-up, IMO..<br /> http://fishfloridakeys.com/partyboats.htm

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

snapper, I've been looking at that some.. sure would take the guesswork away. Except I'd have to find the right guide...<br /><br />Thankya!!

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Very good! Thanks a mile! I'll be reading there for a while. I'm also watching a History Channel show on the Overseas Highway to Key West right now... But they're not giving any fishing tips! Thanks Once more!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) If ya get to Marathon in the keys there are some motels with reasonable rates half way down on this "saltwater forum" look for the Aaron G post, there are a couple of motels with phone numbers, all have nice rooms!!!! <br /><br />If ya go on a half day trip on the Marathon Lady 305-7435580 on the main road call the day before and reserve a spot on the stern!!!!<br /><br />Also if ya going to fish a few days and use live shrimp or pin tails, you can buy an airrator for about 10 bucks that takes 2 d-cell batteries!! Ask the bait shop for a 5 gal. bucket!!!! And with you being an inland fisherman that airrator will work great if ya use minnows at home!!!!<br /><br />GOOD LUCK and take a light jacket this week!!! ;) :cool:

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Great, I saw that post earlier. I'm getting on the plane in two hours. Thanks for the great replies everyone. I'll follow up when I get back, see ya!<br /><br />Calico

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the hints and help, we're back and had a great vacation! I was able to fish on three different days while in Florida. Once from a canoe in Florida bay near Flamingo in the Everglades National Park, caught lots of Trout and a variety of other critters. I also fished from some bridges, beaches, docks and landings along Hwy.1 throughout the Keys on two other days and caught some of the wierdest fish I'll likely ever see! Like I said before I'm not really a big-game fisherman, though I will tangle with big Pike given the opportunity, so I did not go after bonefish or snapper and such. I just tossed shrimp and realed in whatever would bite, my wife was interested the whole time too because she wanted to see what I would pull in next. That was great as she usually tires of fishing after about ten minutes. I caught Catfish, Trout, Permit, Filefish, Needlefish, Ladyfish, and a few I have yet to ID. No Barracuda though. I released everything alive. Great fun! If I lived down that way I'd have a flats boat for sure!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Looks like you had a good time, CalicoKid...<br /><br />Not knowing what you'll pull up next is the best part.. :D You just never know....

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the help snapper, one of those links you gave had a very complete description of some of the best public access fishing in the keys. You all have some beautiful parks!