Whaler alternatives?

newt

Cadet
I am somewhat caught up in the enthusiasm that comes from Boston Whaler owners and am currently looking at and pricing Montauks. My question is..what other boats are used/recomended in the 17-19' range that are stable, all purpose, rugged, reputable, etc.<br /><br />Whatever boat I end up with will be used for family fun on the Merrimac River and ajoining ocean waters, and also fishing. Easily trailerable is a must, as well as both utilitarian and comfort qualities. <br /><br />Thanks, :D :D Any and all input is welcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Whaler alternatives?

Hi, Newt.<br /><br />No boat, made by anyone, ever, is the equal of a Montauk as a versatile, stable, safe, trailerable, value.<br /><br />You can equip it for family frolic,<br />
ACF828.JPG
<br /><br />or for fishing.<br />
sunshine3.JPG
<br /><br />You will be in love for life. :)

D

DJ

Newt,<br /><br />I like JB am a Whaler fan. I am also impressed with the quality and versatility of the Scout line of boats.

newt

Cadet

JB, <br /><br />I should have mentioned that my enthusiasm for Whalers stems mainly from all of your posts here and on the classic Whaler site! I would have bet my paycheck that you would be the first to respond to this question. :D <br /><br />I guess I am looking for alternative makes as I browse the for sale ads, so that I can spot a good deal when I see one. Maybe I should stop looking at the wanna-be's and concentrate on finding a good deal on a Montauk? :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I no nothing about Whalers my question is.<br /> the basic Whaler appears as though it would ride awful.Montauk doesnt look like it would ride too smooth either.<br /> I do agree from what ive seen and heard <br /> they are amazing but what about ride.

JB

Hi, Steelspike.<br /><br />Montauks ride as well as the skill at the helm allows. If you think it is a PWC it will punish you. So will most boats.<br /><br />I have never looked at a fisherman and wondered if it has a Cadillac ride. That is a low priority feature for either a family boat or a fisherman if it requires a slower, heavier, less stable boat.<br /><br />Cheers :)

Jersey Jim

Seaman Apprentice

Newt, I've been in your predicament also. I wanted a trailerable boat, non-sinkable, economical, and a few other "ables" or "cals". There are only two that fit the bill after my exhastive research - the BW Montauk or the McKee 17' Off Shore. The McKee design has not evolved as the Montauks has but they are a good value, trailerable and non-sinkable. Prior to my deciding in favor of the Montauk I priced a McKee 17' Off Shore Fisherman. 14.5 K for a 90 HP 4 str Suzuki and boat. The trailer was extra. The "new" Montauk is about 19.5K with a four str (some dealers will up that as far as they can), but I think the resale - when my heirs want to sell - would be better with the BW. The McKee is 6" longer and about 6" wider than the 2002 Montauk. Used Montauks, in my mind are way overpriced considering the lower pricing of a new 2002. Good luck in your decision.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a big difference in 17 Montauks and the new 170 Montauk. They have the same name but are completely different boats.<br />The Montauk was introduced in 1973 as a 16' model and then changed to a 17' in 1976 and has gone through some hull design improvements over the years.<br />The new 170 Montauk introduced this year is a different boat. I have yet to see one but the inital reports are good. It is a little longer and wider but rated for less HP and Whaler states that you can't hang a kicker motor on the transom.<br /><br />The lower HP rating and the fact that a kicker motor is a no-no leads me to believe that there is a major difference in construction to make the lower price possible.<br /><br />It my have a smoother ride than my 1999, I would like to run one just to see. No matter I am happy with the classic hull and know that I may get bumped around a bit but it will not let me down.

D

DJ

All,<br /><br />A NEW Montauk-no kicker-no sale. A kicker is safety, are the folks at Brunswick nuts.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

How many Montauks have you seen with a 'kicker'? I can't recall any; but then again there's a lot of things I forget. :p I'm not sure they would have recommended a 'kicker' on the old one. I suspect that some form of 'legalsleeze' made them do it. I had a 'kicker' on a 18' BW Outrage and it made the back set a little low. Now, I'm talking a serious 'kicker', 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. Nothings perfect, but it would not stop me from buying the new Montauk. I personally think the intro 'price' won't last for long. I say also believe it dropped the bottom out of rersale price the 2-3 year old Montauks. People were asking $22-24,000, used! Hope these thoughts get you into the NEW Montauk! You won't regret it. ;)

D

DJ

Mumblerone,<br /><br />My fathers Montauk has a 8 hp. Honda kicker alongside the 70 John.<br /><br />The older Montauks had a flare on the sides of the transom right next to the gunnel. If you look closely at this area you will see a flat part molded into the fiberglass-made for a kicker-has to be a long shaft though.<br /><br />We like it that way because we can troll for hours without loading up the 70. Weight has not been an issue. Both engines run off of one tank because the 70 is VRO.

D

DJ

Hey JB,<br /><br />Is that a jack plate on your Montauk? Just curious, what has it done for you? Is it power or manual?<br /><br />I also noticed the whale tail. I put one on dad's Montauk also (Doel Fin). It gets out of the hole alot quicker especially with three people in the boat.

JB

Howdy, DJohns.<br /><br />Yes, it is a fixed jackplate which produces about a 4" setback.<br /><br />We put it on to avoid lag screws in installing the Suzi.<br /><br />I suspect it adds some to the top end, because I have no problem keeping up with my son's, with the Merc 90 2s. My boat also rides better than his, a bit higher in the bow.<br /><br />The hydrofoil is a SE Sport 300, which claims to be the fastest hydrofoil. :)

newt

Cadet

JB (or others), <br /><br />I like the look of the setup for "family Frolic", with the rear bench seat. Is that seat easily removed? Or is there a foldup version available? I imagine that it would be handy to have the seat for cruiding and fun, but be able to take it out for fishing with the boys.<br /><br />Also, if one were to pull a skier or tuber, where do you attach the tow line?<br /><br />thanks,

JB

Hi, Newt.<br /><br />The rear seat shown on my son's "family" boat removes in about 3 minutes. The seat is expensive. I think son paid $1300 or $1500 for it.<br /><br />Take a look at the folding seats in the West site. They look pretty nice and cost much less.<br /><br />Skiiers tow harness attaches to towing eyes on the transom.<br /><br />Cheers. :)

CHUCKB1

Cadet

Newt,<br /><br />Go check out the line of Lund aluminum boats. They meet everything you've specified and they're more durable than a fiberglass boat. :cool:

JB

Hi, Chuck.<br /><br />What have you been smoking? <br /><br />Lund makes very nice boats, but they are a different type of boat than we are talking about.<br /><br />Cheers, :)

D

DJ

JB,<br /><br />Thanks for the info. I will be repainting the bottom on dad's Montauk in about a month. We're going to remove the engine to make it easier, we'll look into the plate. Interesting comment about the ride. :cool: <br /><br />I do recall that finding SS lag bolts of that size was a challenge and they were NOT cheap.

paintermn

Seaman

Let me fix this problem for you all:<br /><br />CAPE HORN 17<br /><br />Best boat in the world, and I have owned both.