Wet Slip Woes!!!

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been storing my 28' Mako in a Hi & Dry Marina for several years. All boat owners received a letter this weekend that the Marina is closing and everyone willl need to find new homes for their boats. Marina is also closing wet slips and asking those owners to move also.

I've been looking for new dry storage with very little luck for my size boat. A wet slip has come available and its not much more than I was paying for the dry with many other amentities.

My concern is with leaving my boat in saltwater 24/7. I am in the West Central Florida area and we have lots of sun and rain. Also, I was told by this new marina that even a boat with bottom paint would need a cleaning below the water line no less than once a month. They do not offer this service so I dont think they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes however, I've never heard of boats with bottom,anit foul paint needed that much cleaning.

The local cleaners charge $1.25/ft so I would be looking at and additional $35.00/mth for this cleaning.

What about salt water adn the hull exposure and also, what about the sun doing its deed on the gel coat. Engines also are a concer....

Please, and advice would be appreciated....

Gary

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wet Slip Woes!!!

How far are you from St. Petersburg? That may be an option if you are talking about the bay area.

I would hate to wet slip my boat for that long, and have to do all of that maintenance to it, but that's just me. If it were freshwater it would be a different story.

studlymandingo

Commander

Which marina is closing in Tampa? A new condo development going in or something?

There are a couple of marinas over here that still have slips available for a reasonable rate. Salt Creek is reasonably priced as well as a couple of the places off of 4th street South.​

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maximo Marina in St. Pete sent out letters notifying all wet and dry slips that the Marina will no longer be open. They are reffering everyone to the new Club Nautico that in not complete as of the time of this writting and therefore are not accepting any boats yet. All boats must be out of Maximo unless you are interested in long term storage with very little access to your boat. If you do need your boat, a 60.00 charge will be issued each time you need the vessel. Also, very limited out of water and into hi dry hours. No Weekends!

Condos and increased population in the local area has changed the face of boating as we have known it......so sad.

I've been considering wet slip but dont feel that the negative affects the salt has on a boat sitting in the water clearly outweights the positives.

P.S.
Lots of pressure on insure fishing has also been created.