wet slip dry dock option

allenkk

Recruit
I am interested in comments on building an inflatable dry dock (SeaPen like) solution for 25ft boat.
(overview of products: In-Water Dry Docking Systems Pilot Study Report (lacounty.gov) )

This appears straight forward with waterproof sheeting on the bottom, inflatable tube floats on the sides, rope netting on the top,
and a water pump. Once the boat is on top of the inflatable dry dock with the floats still above the water, pumping out the water would leave a small air gap keeping the bottom dry thus preventing growth.

Waves or leakage could be handled by the pump. Driving onto the dry dock would require a weight added at one end to lower the side.

Are there any issues I am missing that would cause this not to work?
Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, that would last for one storm here, and then be shredded. Also, it would collect barnacles, which would rip holes in the liner as a minimum and likely puncture the inflatable portion.

Folks have the hard plastic float on type devices for their boats. These are the big brother of the waverunner "docks". They hold up in moderate storms, and are not susceptible to punctures by barnacles.

allenkk

Recruit
I am interested in comments on building an inflatable dry dock (SeaPen like) solution for 25ft boat.
(overview of products: In-Water Dry Docking Systems Pilot Study Report (lacounty.gov) )

This appears straight forward with waterproof sheeting on the bottom, inflatable tube floats on the sides, rope netting on the top,
and a water pump. Once the boat is on top of the inflatable dry dock with the floats still above the water, pumping out the water would leave a small air gap keeping the bottom dry thus preventing growth.

Waves or leakage could be handled by the pump. Driving onto the dry dock would require a weight added at one end to lower the side.

Are there any issues I am missing that would cause this not to work?
Thanks
Yes, don't see any will leave hull bone dry
Thanks again - Assuming like most things, concept and theory sounds good, but getting all the details in the application of really getting an air barrier there - unlikely (guess like basements - they have sump pumps but usually damp if not wet.

allenkk

Recruit
Gee, that would last for one storm here, and then be shredded. Also, it would collect barnacles, which would rip holes in the liner as a minimum and likely puncture the inflatable portion.

Folks have the hard plastic float on type devices for their boats. These are the big brother of the waverunner "docks". They hold up in moderate storms, and are not susceptible to punctures by barnacles.
Chris, thanks, I am in Florida - I agree, I think along the coast would be problematic. I am looking at freshwater (only lots of algae). The float types might be a better option. Maybe similar to inflatable boats are puncture resistant, but they are not left in the water for growth. Thanks again