WET FLOOR

byeager10

Cadet
I DECIDED TO TAKE MY BOAT COVER OFF THIS WEEKEND TO JUST CHECK THE CARPET THAT I REPLACED IN OCTOBER.TO MY SURPISE THERE WAS ABOUT 3"OFF WATER IN THE BACK HALF OF THE BOAT,THE BOAT IS A 1980 GLASTRON SSV167 17 FOOTER.ILL ESTIMATE THE WATER BEEN THERE ABOUT 45 DAYS,I DRAINED THE WATER OUT.OBVIOSLY ITS GOING TO TAKE AWHILE TO DRY OUT,MY MAIN CONCERN IS WILL MY FLOOR BE ROTTED ONCE THE WOOD DRIES OUT?????

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: WET FLOOR

I doubt that it's enough to rot wood. It takes years of this to make a floor rot. I keep the boat tilted back with the plug out to avoid this. <br /><br />I'm going to have to treat my covers with a water repellent product this spring. Last season, my covers would keep most of the rain out, but not all of it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: WET FLOOR

If the cover leaks and you can't get it waterproofed, you can put a tarp over it for the winter. What I do is put a tarp over the cover, support the cover with poles and straps so it doesn't cave in from the snow, and put those moisture buckets in the cockpit. I used 3 big ones in the 20' Four Winns, and the last time I checked (2 weeks ago before the last snow storm!!) it was dry as a bone in there. Condensation is just as bad as water in terms of creating the conditions for wood rot. When the weather gets better lift the cover up every weekend to let air circulate and dry things out.<br />Last winter I didn't use the moisture buckets and had a lot of condensation under the cover so I know they work.