West Bend 3.5 hp , mod 2201 ser 3220

shrimp1

Recruit
Hello, do you guys have any info on this motor, such as parts, oil mix, manuals, etc... Has a MD124A carb. I have got it running fairly well, and in the process of repairing the worn starter clutch. Any info is greatly appreciated. I have heard 16::1, & 24::1 Maybe should mix to the middle at 20::1 ??

Shrimp1

shrimp1

Recruit
Re: West Bend 3.5 hp , mod 2201 ser 3220

Also, near the fuel inlet on the carb is a brass flat head screw that someone used locktite max strenth on. Is this the filter port? I went ahead and added a briggs lawnmower filter in the line . Thanks for any comments

shrimp1

Recruit

Hurricane Dean lands on Jamaica the same day my flight was to land. Obviously the flight was cancelled, so the 3 1/2 hp motor won't see the Carribean for awhile yet. STILL LOOKING FOR SOME INFO OR REPLIES. tHANKS :confused:

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Year - 1965
Fuel Oil Mix - 1/2 pint of oil per U.S. Gallon
Sparkplug H8J gapped at .030"
Points gap - .020"

Does your carb have a glass sediment bowl on the bottom? If so the large brass screw covers the fuel inlet needle and seat. I doubt that anybody put loctite on it, but rather it's just dry seized in the carb body. Make sure you have a screwdriver that fits tightly and the full width of the slot to try and break it loose. Sometimes a bit of heat from a heat gun will help, just be careful and drain all the fuel, and do this outside to minimize the fire hazard.

R. Tuznik

Recruit

I just aquired a 3.5 West Bend shrimp model #2351 S/N:1894 from a friend to rig onto my 16' 1974 Gibbs catamaran. Motor has been sitting for many years in a garage and my friend says it ran when he laid it up. It turns freely and has good compression. I would like to complement my vintage cat with a vintage outboard. Need specs and maintenance instructions or drawings. R.T. Annapolis, Md.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

West Bend was acquired by Chrysler in the mid 60s. They continued the production of many of the West Bend designs for quite some time---including the 3.5 horse air-cooled design. So you can use Chrysler data in generic service manuals if West Bend isn't included.
The 3.5 West Bend & Chrysler design had ONLY plain bearings on crankshaft and rod so it MUST have a 16/1 fuel/oil mix to survive.
The widely used West Bend engine was used in many home lawn, gardening and industrial applications with a reputation for toughness and longevity when operated within design parameters. A version of it was still being produced up until a few years ago (& may still be) for industrial applications.