Wellcraft Trailer??

Hi all,<br /> Just after a few opinions here...As you have guessed by my addy I am down under in New Zealand but will continue anyway ;) ,<br />I have just imported a wellcraft bowrider here (as good size 18+ft) are rare and pricey in NZ and got this at a very good $$$ which made good sence.<br />Now..It came less trailer (on a crate) so I had to look for a suitable trailer and they are not cheap new....a average build price I had for a "braked tandem axle" to suit my boat was $8000nzd (roughly 5000+ USD)!! so searched for 2hand but very little available unless you were willing to rebuild some old rusty crate!<br />I found at a local boat shop and a trailer was sitting out the back to which they said.."someone brought a boat in from the US but didnt want the trailer as it was a skid type and he wanted a roller kind" which is all we have here.<br />So at a good price (here) I took it and the specs are as follows...<br />brand name " wellcraft" written on side.<br />single durotouque axle, with drum brakes and a "huge!!" coupling I have never seen before other than on a new Mastercraft X2 that was imported from US with trailer to suit.<br />What I would like input on is...<br />What kind of carry weight is this capable of?.<br />How exactly does the coupling activate the brakes? it lookes like an "over-ride scenario"?.<br />And lastly the seller said.."dont touch the salt with drum brakes, or they will sieze within a week".... which doesnt help as I like to fish in the ocean! but boat will spend 90% in fresh water ski-ing boarding ect.<br />So please add your bit on what you can tell me about this trailer.<br />thanks :)

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Wellcraft Trailer??

you really shouldny need a double axle trailer for a 18 foot bowrider... i see em here all day long on singles..... <br /><br />i see people with new boats up to 20 feet on singles and they work just fine... each one of those wheels can hold 1750 pouns, somtimes more...<br /><br />i have seen companys here in states that sell trailer knocked down on a pallet that you have to put together, im sure that would be less than the 5000 price you speak of.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Capt.<br /><br />My guess is that is a trailer made for Welcraft by someone else. Check the VIN tag and get the mfg. PMM is right on. I can't imagine an 18ft boat that would be too heavy for a tandam axle trailer. Big brakes, super... There are several posts on customizing trailers to fit your boat.<br /><br />By the way, how much is it? There are places locally that could build you one for 2K or less around here... (Bunk Style) Of course there is always that freight issue. :mad:

Thanks for the replies guys,<br />phatmanmike..the 5k USD I spoke of was just a figure to give you an idea of exchange rates as your $$ is worth alot more than ours eg 8k nzd = 5k usd and after more homework our laws do not require 2 axles untill around 2 ton (approx 4500lb)so single will be fine.<br />Pointer94 yes I agree the trailer probably only has "wellcraft" stickers added as thats the boat that was probably on its back when it was sold!<br />I paid approx 1500 usd (new) from my local boat shop as it is unused.<br />So I now know it will be fine for my new boat and my last question I have of "are drums for fresh water only" will soon be answered when I try it in the salt!!.<br />thanks again<br />mike

Went through some old posts and found what I wanted to know. :) <br />cheers

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

capn - I may have written some of the old posts you read. If you keep the drum brakes I recommend that you inspect the innards very frequently. My boat gets dunked in salt every launch. I went through several sets of drum brakes (yes I had fresh water flush) before going to disks a few years ago. Drums will work but rust up very quickly if around salt water.

Thanks for the reply mate, I will do just that and look into the disk conversion as If I can avoid trouble, I will!!.<br /><br />cheers<br /> mike

Oh... pressed the finish button too soon!! On removing a couple of stickers / transferes I found a sticker "EZ Loader" obviously the manufacturer in the US and have since visited there web page and found out all info I was seeking in the way of load limits ect. :) <br /><br />cheers<br /> mike

Knightgang

Lieutenant

That easy loader trailer is a good one. It should last you many, many years.

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like the exact set up I have, I have a 2003 Wellcraft Excalibur with the EZ loader trailer, have the drum brakes and have dunked it in salt water twice with no problems but did flush them very well. Good luck with you new rig!!