Wellcraft suncruiser 2000 repower

knotperfect

Seaman
To make a long story short, I was looking for a family project boat that would be a good all-around boat for cruising, fishing, water camp out, etc. I am mechanically inclined and good with wood projects. Enter this boat.

IMG_1110.jpgIMG_1111.jpgIMG_1129.jpgIMG_1105.jpg

The individual selling was ready to get the rig out of his yard. His description was that is ran ok when he used it but had only taken it out about 5 times in 5 years in freshwater. So I bring some tools and check the hull, transom, stringers, etc, etc... All electrics work including trim, blower, lights, etc. Shifter, throttle, and steering move effortlessly and move their appropriate linkages in the motor/sterndrive area. Starter engages, but the motor is locked and there is a soft spot port-side aft floor. With this, I offer the guy $200 and he takes it. Title for both boat and e-z-load trailer in hand as well as new optima battery, marine radio, fish finder, and spare trailer tire. When I get home, I pull the plugs and all looks good with the exception of the terrarium in #7. Marvel the cylinders and I can't get the thing to turn. My thought is the manifold on stbd side gave way after either a bad winterization or normal rust through. Nothing else looks corroded. Now I am looking to replace the longblock at a minimum. Manifolds of course, carb rebuild, maybe a few more piece-parts.

So, based on reading the forums, I am looking for a 5.7 longblock. How do I proceed tearing this thing down?

My thoughts are....

1) Remove Sterndrive
2) Pull the motor
3) Find $2,000
4) Purchase marine 5.7
5) Accessorize and re-tin new longblock
5) Reverse

I would like some insight regarding other than the obvious. Is this that much different that R&R of my old Firebird engine? Of course I will go with a marine longblock. Stand by for photos, this should be fun..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wellcraft suncruiser 2000 restoration

I'm going to move this to the I/O section just because all of your questons are I/O related and that's where you'll find the best help. You can start another thread at some point back in resto when you want to deal with that soft spot in the floor :eek:

Welcome to iboats.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Get the Mercruiser maintenance manual. Skip the after market manuals, they aren't worth the money.
There should be a data tag riveted to the block in the area of the starter with the serial number, so you can get the correct manual.
Remove the sterndrive, remove the engine.
Look for the local tech college, night engine class. Rebuild the engine, the class will save you around $1500-2000 in machine shop costs.

knotperfect

Seaman

So should I even try to remove the engine at this point? I have really nice access all around and can pull heads pretty easily. I am optimistic, but not totally naive, that the engine might be ok (ok meaning not totally shot). Wish me luck.

knotperfect

Seaman

I pulled everything I could off the motor, #6 is filled with moldy crud and the cylinder walls are lightly rusted and the piston is frozen in.

IMG_1138.jpgIMG_1136.jpg:eek:

The stbd manifold was full of crap too, so I know that a new set of manifolds is in order. The rest of the internal engine parts are mirror smooth and polished. If you told me the engine had 5 hours on it, I would probably believe you based on the inside alone. So now I pull the engine and a local auto guy here has offered to see if we can get the piston out, hone the cylinder, and go back together if everything seems fine. I will have the heads looked at by a local machine shop. So my questions is..... If I can remove, hone and replace the piston with a new one, does this sound like a viable option? Certainly, my costs would be much lower, but what about reliability. Again, I have no idea how many hours the engine has on it, just going by what I can see.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

a local auto guy

Well.....

I will have the heads looked at by a local machine shop.

I personally would have the local machine shop take a look at the cylinder and have them give you their opinion, as opposed to the "local auto guy." You may be able to do what you hope... but the machine shop should be able to tell you for sure.

Bondo

Staff member

If I can remove, hone and replace the piston with a new one, does this sound like a viable option? Certainly, my costs would be much lower, but what about reliability.

Ayuh,... It Might clean up,.... maybe...

I'd still start savin' for a fresh long block though....

knotperfect

Seaman

The engine had a recent rebuild (hours on the engine, not necessarily calendar time) as noted by the stamped rods/caps. I took the block down and the entire block, crank, cam, cylinders etc are silky smooth except #6. I needed my BFH to get out the seized #6 piston. Scarring in that cylinder is deep enough to grab a finger-nail but I know that doesn't translate to a measurement. I keep hearing "scrap it, get a 5.7" but if everything else is this clean and smooth is it really a total waste re-working that cylinder? I would like to put a reasonable "run-away" figure on totally abandoning this engine. Assuming heads are good, and all we need to do is cylinder clean-up, what is reasonable? Any constructive help/advise is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Scarring in that cylinder is deep enough to grab a finger-nail but I know that doesn't translate to a measurement.

Ayuh,... That means that cylinder needs to be overbored,....
Which also means the other 7 need to be overbored to match #6....
Which means you'll be buying 8 new oversized pistons...
Which, if it's already been rebuild/ rebored,...
There may not be enough metal left in the block for another overbore....

Check with yer local Machine Shop, but I'll guess that it'll come up to about the price of a replacement long block....

knotperfect

Seaman

I am still conflicted. I want the 305 to work since it is so clean, I want the 305 to be junk so I can justify the 350. Ok, I measured the bore of the 305 and I was 3.73" which is the stock bore size.
Question... Since the rods/caps were stamped, does this necessarily mean a rebuilt engine? Why would the rods be stamped if it had never been torn down? Maybe the engine was re-ringed only?

I took a hard look at the heads and manifold last night. Although #6 was the frozen cylinder, #8 valve was significantly corroded and had trailing rust to #6 and #8 exhaust ports.
The Port exhaust manifold and riser looks new, inside and out. Starboard manifold is a rust cavity that is held together with black paint, but the riser looks ok. My theory, starboard manifold failed (probably a winterization issue) and allowed water back into the exhaust port/cylinder. 6 corroded out, 8 was ok since #8 was TDC and the water was stopped at the valves.
I am taking the block, heads, crank, cam, etc to my local machine shop and see what he says about it. More to follow...