wellcraft Excel 23SE

drake835

Cadet
HI guys, new to the forum

I am looking at purchasing a 93 Excel SE this would be my first big boat.
the owner claims there is nothing wrong with the boat, and it is in great condition, it hasn't been in the water for 2 years now.
I will be going to look at it Weds. or Thurs.

my question is
is there anything specific to pay attention to with these boats, that may cause big problems in the future?
and do you guys know how well these boats are? good or bad, I would like to hear your opinions on it.

how are these compared to other wellcraft models, I can't seem to find much info on them

I would appreciate any info you guys could provide

Thanks

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wellcraft Excel 23SE

I don't know much about Wellcraft.
I will remind you the old adage "buyer beware".
Chances are that when he put it away two yrs ago, there were no problems with it.
I assume this is an I/O.
What you need to be concerned with now is the two yrs it did not get used.
You will want to check the boots and hoses on the lower unit. These can dry and crack from not being used. Look for rust on the engine block, which should be visible if the engine was not winterized properly and or somehow got water in it. Check the oil for water, as well as the lower unit. Check the belts and hoses (keep in mind, there are a lot more water hoses on a boat than a car). Look for oil stains on and around the engine, trim pump, resevoir, and steering unit.
You should try to get this person to take you out on the boat first hand. Ask him questions about operation, little quirks the boat/engine might have.:eek:
If you buy this boat, or any other, you will want to change the oil/filter. clean the spark arrestor on the carb, change the lower gear oil, maybe even plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.
You will definately want to change the water impeller.
This might seem a little excesive, but from my own experiences, if I were to ever buy another used boat, I would do all of this now instead of in the middle of the weekend with parts hard to get.:(
You also may need to change the wheel bearings and winch strap on the trailer. These are things that can save you great heartache in the future for a small price now.
I am sure there is either more or less you should know, but I learn best from experience.:confused:
Happy boating.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wellcraft Excel 23SE

Sorry, You'll also want to have the alignment, gimbal bearing, and u-joints checked.
I don't know what it cost at the shop, I do mine myself.