Well oiled - we hope

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy fellow boat hounds.<br /><br />Recently while I was engaged in a lot of engine work (302 ford, 888 mercruiser) I decided to go to a full synthetic motor oil. I have been running 20-50 Valvoline Syn Power. Is there anything wrong with my thinking on this, especially concerning the weight? Quicksilver as you all know is 25-40. And as I tend to stretch the season till the last dog is nearly frosted, should I be using a lighter weight at some <br />point(s) in the season?<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Well oiled - we hope

Good choice for an elderly engine. Some rules that you would apply for petroleum oils do not neccesarily hold for synthetics. If your engine was newer or just broken in I'd recommend something lighter.<br /><br />Do, however, watch for leaks. Synthetics go where no oil has gone b4. Sometimes older engines are actually sealed up by gum, goo & sludge. Syn's will clean all that off and sometimes result in leaks. Also you would be advised to change that oil b4 the start of next season due to the cleaning action.<br /><br />When I started using Syn. oil back in the mid 70's, oil was commonly sold in cardboard cans with metal tops. Those cans would not hold synthetic oil so they had to stuff it into all metal cans. Now, of course, everything is plastic.<br /><br />Hope you've gotten over that other hurdle?

Oil Man

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A quick look at the technical data for Syn Power 20W-50 shows that it is really closer to a SAE 60 weight oil with not a very good viscosity index for a supposedly full synthetic motor oil. Also not a very good TBN number for marine use. You may want to consider a lighter oil if it is a fresh engine and/or you are using it in cold conditions.<br /><br />Dave

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info Boomyal. I have changed the filter once since I started using the oil (due to that nightmare with the oil filter relocation kit). The oils got maybe 10 hours on it! However, I always change my oil during winterization, so I'll be covered on that one. <br /><br />Oil Man:<br />Sounds like the 20 50 Syn Power may not be a great idea. My rig is a 1973,26' Skiff Craft SFFB, 888 Mercruiser, 302 CID Ford. If it were yours, what would you be runing in it?<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Oil Man

Petty Officer 3rd Class

CRT,<br /><br />I agree with Boomyal -- if your engine has a lot of hours 20W-50 would be a good choice. I have charter boat commercial accounts that use Amsoil 20W-50 on their high hour engines with great success. They are all big block Ford and Chevys however.<br /><br />If it were mine, I'd use the Amsoil 15W-40 Diesel/Marine oil. Especially if you are going late into the season or your engine is fresh. The higher TBN of Amsoil is also better for marine use and off season corrosion protection.<br /><br />Hope this helps -- email me and I can give you more info...<br />dave@ultimateoiltechnology.com

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Oilman. I got brand specific in previous posts and got snubbed so I decided to stick with generic synthetic statements. So now that the cat is out of the bag, again, go Amsoil, Amsoil, Amsoil!!! As mentioned b4, I have no financial interest just years of use experience.<br /><br />You can read my comments in these two previous threads.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=003667 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=004428

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW!<br />Just read the past posts regarding oil. I feel extremely enlightened! I've never heard of Amsoil, but it's going in my engine tomorrow if I can find it somewhere around town. Must learn more about this bypass filter as well. And maybe even a preluber. <br /><br />Thanks for the great advice. <br /><br />Regards, crt.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good afternoon all boat fanatics.<br /><br />I contacted the local Amsoil distributer today and am picking up 6 qts and filter tomorrow. <br />I'm thinking I'll be doing my last boating of the season next week. Now I'm debating whether I should wait till I winterize to change to the Amsoil or go ahead and make the change immediately. I would like to experience the stuff right away, but certainly wouldn't drain it in a week! Can't imagine there would be any issue with laying up on week old oil?<br /><br />Regards, crt

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Skiff crafter,you would be fine if you did the change now.this would get the fresh oil into the entire engine and flush out any old oil where ever it may be hiding.Perfect time for the change.Charlie

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi crazy charlie.<br /><br />Thanks for the post. I did the oil change yesterday. Hopefully gonna take it out today and run it some. Had to replace a cracked upper and lower stat housing and it turned into a lot more work than it should have been. Isn't that novel!<br /><br />Regards, crt.