well now im screwed - Update

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
1982 merc 260 <br /><br />just so i can avoid this from happening again..<br /><br />what the heck goes wrong that causes massive amount of gas to go pouring into the cyl? to the point that they get locked when you just try to turn em over to see if anything pumps out the 3 plugs you removed.. started turned just a little bit then froze..<br /><br />now all the happens is a click.. so is the starter dead now? <br /><br />idiot me i should have pulled them all.. 2 that i didnt pull are completed full of gas.. is this just a completely shot carb issue? i have the fuel pump with the glass bowl on the side.. with no sign of any problem..<br /><br />how does this happen? It was so much i was worried it was water cept well it smells like gas.. pulled the exhaust and elbow and they are fine.. <br /><br />so now what?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: well now im screwed - Update

with a mech. pump no fuel moves unless the motor does.you sure its gas and not water?youd need to dump about a gallon to lock up all cylinders.how many cylinders are we talking about.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

it sure smelled like it was gas.. looks like most in 4 and 6.. mostly 6.. and the oil smelled like gas as well.. and it was way over filled..<br /><br />i definitely had fuel in the oil when i went to summerize the boat.. i changed the oil at that time.. adjusted the carb down.. and started the boat.. it ran for a very very brief time.. shut it down.. <br /><br />towed it to my house.. bout 50 miles.. pulled the dipstick.. it again smelled like gas and was way over full.. so i pulled all the oil out again.. and as i said.. pulled 3 plugs.. dont ask me why i didnt pull them all.. and just tried to turn it over and see what came out.. <br /><br />well as i said it locked up.. and now i just get a click from the starter? Assume thats shot.. <br /><br />already have a reman carb.. but now am thinking its time for a reman engine.. im going to tear it down anyway and see what i see..

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude - hate to break it to ya, its water! Been there done that. You have either a blown head gaskget, cracked head, cracked block, bad exhaust manifolds, bad exhaust risors.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

on no worries.. im already placing the order for the reman 260 tomorrow.. and started tearing down mine today.. <br /><br />didnt get to take the heads off yet thou.. have a pesky bolt on the intake.. the head on it stripped.. couldnt get the dame thing out.. <br /><br />you might be right.. could be combo of things.. definitely something happened of the winter.. no denying that.. <br /><br />but.. i definitely had fuel in the oil and fuel in the cylinders.. may be water too..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

most likely the 4 bolts under the carb. hammer and chisel there. heads corroded away.fuel in the crankcase in that quanity could be a ruptured dia. in the fuel pump.never seen a carb dump that much.

nicksquid

Cadet

if it has a manual fuel pump.....the diapram is probably broke and allowing fuel to run into the crankcase

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i didnt see any fuel in the sight glass to indicate a pump problem.. but i dont know that there is any other explanation.. <br /><br />would you likely find fuel in the cyl on the side of the pump if that was the case? or would it be random in any cyl?<br /><br />and why is the pump designed to just dump gas in the cyl like that?<br /><br />4 and 6 seemed to way full.. while cylinders on the other side the plugs were a bit wet but nothing came pouring out like 4 and 6

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4 & 6 are on the starboard manifold/head. Your problem will be discovered there. A leak down test will give you more of a hint about the issue without going too far into the engine. May be a good idea to do a compession test too, if anything to get before and after readings between what you have now and your new reman 260. Sounds like you're interested in knowing what happened. I would be.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes they are.. i pulled the riser/exhaust off that side.. they appear to be in pretty good shape to me.. no obvious signs of being rusted out.. boat is on rwc in fresh water only.. not that fresh water vs salt water exhaust dont get rusted out.. but they looked good.<br /><br />hey back to my other question.. is my starter shot? Anyway to test it to tell? Or is it perhaps the solenoid shot only? I didn't ride on it and try to crank like crazy.. it turned over a bit then froze.. i released ignition.. thought oh **** my cyl are hydolocked.. SOB... etc <br /><br /><br />Would like to have the answer to that before paying out $180 for a new one..<br /><br />Thanks

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get ALL the water out out of the pistons and oil pan try the key switch. That will tell you. Be careful though, if you don't get all the water out and its still hydro-locked, you could loose a tooth or two on the fly-wheel and that will only add to your problems.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

all the plugs are out.. so assume that any remaining water would shoot out the plug holes?? <br /><br />just get a click now when turn the ignition..

KRS

Banned

Use a wrench to turn the engine over (crank pulley) with the plugs removed... if it cranks, then the starting circuit is the problem (ignition switch, starter, solenoid, battery, wiring).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a bad fuel pump diaphram CANNOT put gas in a cylinder, it could put it in the crankcase but NOT a cylinder.<br /> only a leaking needle in the carb can.<br /> I am with the rest, you need to find if its water or gasoline.<br /> the starter issue could be as simple as a bad slave solinoid or a defective/loose cable connection.

John_S

Rear Admiral

rodbolt, just for my education and dispelling what I thought could happen: If we are talking about a mechanical fuel pump with a sight tube connected to the carb, when the pump fails, only a small amount of gas enters the carb though the sight tube? ie, nowhere near enough to puddle in the intake, and drain into a cylinder. From your post, it sounds like most of the gas will go past the pump rod into the crank case. <br /><br />My assumption, up to this post was the gas would all go into carb. I might not have checked the crankcase and do oil/filer change. Thanks for your experienced input.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

rodbolt.. how do i check if its the bad slave solenoid or what? the starter worked just fine before i tried to crank with the cyl full of whatever it was..

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

First remove all the plugs... Pull off the coil wire (just in case) get a big wrench and turn the engine from the nut at the crank shaft. Turn it intil all the water is out of the cyls. Try the starter... If click, remove the starter...use jumper cables and connect from the + batery to the large post on the starter and from the - battery to the casing of the starter.. (not the solonoid) if the starter spins, its the solonoid. if it doesn't spin, its the starter moter...<br /><br />Most likely only a little gas in the water is enough to make the water smell like gas.. I agree with the other posters that you have water in the cyl's not all gas.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

wont a stuck float let the pump just keep on pumpin gas into the over flows?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

only if the motors spinning to pump it.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

it would flood out way before hydro lockin with gas though!!