welding lower unit

Rickfifty

Seaman
Is it OK to weld one of the anti-cavitation plates on a Honda 50 outboard while the lower unit is still on the motor? It's not the big plate but the smaller one right near where the cases split. Don't want to have any heat damage.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: welding lower unit

Because the water pump is just below that location, I'd take the extra 5 minutes and drop the lower unit. The last thing you need is a melted waterpump housing .<br /><br />Nav :cool:

Rickfifty

Seaman

Is it that easy to pull the lower unit? This is not my boat, so I'm not that familiar with it. Can a novice perform this?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> the unit will pop right off. get a service manual though. and go ahead and install a new pump kit. but as far as welding ,your welding on a heat sink. takes a lot of welding to actually get the unit hot enough to damage anything.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Rickfifty,<br /><br />In a nutshell, to drop the lower unit, <br /><br />1. remove all but 1 of the bolts holding the lower unit. <br /><br />2. Next you have to unscrew the nut that connects the shift rod linkage. This is located below the pivot on the leading edge of the unit. If you cant see the bolt, simply shift it into forward and reverse. The shift rod will move and make the nut visible. (make sure you mark where it is so you can get it in the same position when you reassemble)<br /><br />3. while supporting the lower unit, undo the last bolt. The unit should instantly drop into your hands. (if you dont leave the last bolt in until the end, the lower unit could fall out the minute you undo the shift linkage. This I learned from Experience :D )<br /><br />Installation is the same process in reverse except you should apply a liberal coat of marine grease to the splines on the top of the drive shaft. This makes it easy to do it again later.<br /><br />The entire process should only take a couple of minutes.<br /><br />Nav :cool: