WELCOME all ADVICE on a NEW 90hp

Mr Mudd

Cadet
I'm hoping to purchase a new 90hp outboard in the very near future. I'm looking for some advice. I have an older 17' Boston Whaler that currently has a 1988 90hp Johnson. I don't think I can get another season out of it. I'm undecided about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I'm considering Evinrude, Yamaha, and Suzuki. Should I be open to any other manufacturer? This is a lot of money to spend for me and I want to make the best investment possible. The most important things to me are reliability, value, and longevity. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: WELCOME all ADVICE on a NEW 90hp

Hello Mr. Mudd. I used to have the very same boat you are running with a 1987 88 Spl. I loved my little Whaler, and the old motor was bullet proof. I purchased a larger boat and sold my boat to my son-in-law at a bargain price...big mistake. But, I won't talk about that right now.

I now have a 17ft McKee Craft (the first cousin) of the Whaler, and I searched and searched for a 90 hp (4cyl) Johnson/Evinrude motor to go on the back. I finally found one in Kentucky off a Pontoon Boat, a 2003 Johnson 90 in fantastic shape. I love my motor....it is a real beast. Pushes my little boat to around 45mph or so. HOWEVER,

If I had it to do all over again....pound for pound.....If You are going USED, I would go with a 2 stroke Yamaha 90 or a good Johnnyrude 70. The 3 cyl motors are much lighter (the 4cyl motors weigh in at 340 lbs) and much more economical than my 4cyl motor. In fact, they will be just as strong on the water as my 90. If you are going NEW, I would look seriously at an 3cyl Etec, or the Suzuki 3 cyl engine (4 stroke)

I know this much. My little boat jumps out of the water with my 2 stroke 90. But my friends Whaler (with a 3 CYL Johnson) can run with me all day long and use a lot less fuel. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Definitely give the Evinrude Etec a close look. 3 cylinder direct injected 2 stroke. 320 lbs,No breakin period,no service for 3 years or 300 hours,Fewer and less complicated service intervals than a 4 stroke.

limitout

Banned

I would definitely look at the Honda with the others you mentioned and let the price but mainly the weight help you decide. Honda used to be expensive so they were often overlooked but they are very competitive now and they are a lot lighter then other 4 strokes.

you cant go wrong with any new motor you choose but I just think you are better off with a 4 stroke overall

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral

What's wrong with your 1988 Johnson?....if it's still running O.K. maybe spend some money to bring it up to standard.....cheaper than a new motor.....

Mr Mudd

Cadet

Hello Mr. Mudd. I used to have the very same boat you are running with a 1987 88 Spl. I loved my little Whaler, and the old motor was bullet proof. I purchased a larger boat and sold my boat to my son-in-law at a bargain price...big mistake. But, I won't talk about that right now.

I now have a 17ft McKee Craft (the first cousin) of the Whaler, and I searched and searched for a 90 hp (4cyl) Johnson/Evinrude motor to go on the back. I finally found one in Kentucky off a Pontoon Boat, a 2003 Johnson 90 in fantastic shape. I love my motor....it is a real beast. Pushes my little boat to around 45mph or so. HOWEVER,

If I had it to do all over again....pound for pound.....If You are going USED, I would go with a 2 stroke Yamaha 90 or a good Johnnyrude 70. The 3 cyl motors are much lighter (the 4cyl motors weigh in at 340 lbs) and much more economical than my 4cyl motor. In fact, they will be just as strong on the water as my 90. If you are going NEW, I would look seriously at an 3cyl Etec, or the Suzuki 3 cyl engine (4 stroke)

I know this much. My little boat jumps out of the water with my 2 stroke 90. But my friends Whaler (with a 3 CYL Johnson) can run with me all day long and use a lot less fuel. Just my 2 cents.

Great Info! I will definitely give it some real consideration. But, I would have a tough time going to a 70hp. I like having the power when needed like when I go clamming.

Mr Mudd

Cadet

Definitely give the Evinrude Etec a close look. 3 cylinder direct injected 2 stroke. 320 lbs,No breakin period,no service for 3 years or 300 hours,Fewer and less complicated service intervals than a 4 stroke.

That's something I really needed to know that I wasn't aware of, Thank you. Right now I am leaning towards the Evinrude.

Mr Mudd

Cadet

I would definitely look at the Honda with the others you mentioned and let the price but mainly the weight help you decide. Honda used to be expensive so they were often overlooked but they are very competitive now and they are a lot lighter then other 4 strokes.

you cant go wrong with any new motor you choose but I just think you are better off with a 4 stroke overall

I will give the Honda some thought. I just don't know anything about them, but, I will do some research. Thank you!

Mr Mudd

Cadet

What's wrong with your 1988 Johnson?....if it's still running O.K. maybe spend some money to bring it up to standard.....cheaper than a new motor.....

The engine runs great and has been very good to me since I've owned it for the past 7 years. I have only done a few minor repairs. My issues are its tough to start in the cold and the trim/tilt just stopped working. But the real issue is how loud it is. I do a lot of Striper fishing in the back bay, throwing poppers, plastics, etc and I think I scare every fish for miles when I pull up on a bank or a flat.

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr Mudd, If it were myself I would update motor by repairing what wrong with the one you got. Run a compression test and if it checks out keep it, fix it and but an electric trolling motor.

I am a musky fisherman and this might not completely relate to striper but when I troll I will run a prop rod (a rod with a bait set to 5'-8' back in the prop wash, literally in the bubbles the prop makes at 4-5mph so the motors at 1200-1500rpm) and I have picked up walleyes doing that. I do not think you are scaring any fish.

You would save a ton of money fixing your motor and buying an electric to fish with.