Weird stuff on eBay

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't stop chuckling about this one... :D <br /><br />
<br />MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- The people at eBay were no believers in this cheesy miracle: half of a 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich whose owner claimed it bore the image of the Virgin Mary.<br /><br />Diana Duyser put the sandwich up for sale last week, drawing bids as high as $22,000 before eBay pulled the item Sunday night. The page was viewed nearly 100,000 times before being taken down.<br /><br />An e-mail Duyser received from eBay said the sandwich broke its policy, which "does not allow listings that are intended as jokes."<br /><br />But, Duyser, a jewelry designer who has bought and sold items on eBay for two years, insisted this was not a laughing matter.<br /><br />"How could eBay do this to me?" Duyser said Monday, hours before the online auction was supposed to have ended.<br /><br />EBay spokesman Hani Durzy said he did not have enough information to comment specifically on the case.<br /><br />Duyser thought eBay would be the best place to show off the sandwich, made on plain white bread with American cheese. It was cooked with no oil or butter.<br /><br />Duyser, 52, said she took a bite after making it 10 years ago and saw a face staring back at her from the bread. She put the sandwich in a clear plastic box with cotton balls and kept it on her night stand.<br /><br />At first, she was scared by the image, "but now that I realize how unique it is, I wanted to share it with the world," Duyser said.<br /><br />The sandwich, she added, has never sprouted a spore of mold.<br />
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/16/ebay.sandwich.ap/index.html

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Weird stuff on eBay

Just like 'ole P.T. Barnum used to say..<br />"There's a sucker born every minute".<br /><br />Someone else said... "A fool and his money are soon parted".<br /><br />Takes all kinds don't it Kiwi.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Heard this on the radio this a.m....<br /><br />wacko!!!! :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Proving with positive fact that some people have more money than brains.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

this very sandwich was featured on a full length side column in the Wisconsin State Journal this AM. <br /><br />laughed out loud until I continued to read it .. <br /><br />the sandwich apparently got removed as Kiwi stated at $22,000.<br /><br />After all the BS it was put back on auction ... but, only brought $16,000 ...<br /><br />is e-bay planning on covering the difference??<br /><br />Thats $6,000 difference!!<br /><br />holy cheeseus mary jospeh...

KennyKenCan

Commander

We have sandwiches like that here in New York City, but unfortantly, the rats keep eatting them before anyone can make such a claim! :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> this very sandwich was featured on a full length side column in the Wisconsin State Journal this AM. <br /><br />laughed out loud until I continued to read it .. <br /><br />the sandwich apparently got removed as Kiwi stated at $22,000.<br /><br />After all the BS it was put back on auction ... but, only brought $16,000 ... <br /><br />is e-bay planning on covering the difference??<br /><br />Thats $6,000 difference!!<br /><br />holy cheeseus mary jospeh...
Wonder if that dumb-as* would pay off my boat for a Cheeseburger? :D