Weird short on one cylinder

numitoros

Recruit
Hi everyone.

I have a Johnson 50 -84.

Background: I have had problems with the lower of the two cylinders. Rebuilt the carb, and switched to a spare coil. Changed powerpack. Got intermittent spark, but not running properly. Measured the ohms and everything checked out.

The continuation: Yesterday tested to switch the coils, and got the all combinations to run! Including the lower coil+cylinder. Then I noticed that I had the controller lever raised. As soon as I lower it to be able to put the engine in gear the lower cylinder dies. So its like there is a short in killswitch, in the controller, only affecting the lower cylinder. A few weeks back I put some electrical tape under the lever, to cover the gap there a bit, As soon as I remove the tape the problem stopped. Great!

The question: I just wonder if anyone can explain why this was happening. There are (in my mind) nothing under the lever that should be affected by a piece of tape. And it just stopped just one of the cylinders. Any ideas?

DSC_0341.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Kill switch grounds out the ignition and stops spark to both coils.-----But easy to split control box to have a look for bare wires.