Weird shin pain after skiing

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

My brother and i were out skiing this weekend and both experienced the same thing with our shin's. First, we were skiing in slight chop (waves maybe 6-8inches). The waves aren't much, but certainly not glassy calm, especially with so much traffic on the lake.

Anyway, after skiing we both noticed pain and bruising on the outside of our shin on our back leg. We were wondering if the spray when cutting the wake and chop might be the issue. Otherwise, we were really stumped. Anyone else ever experience this?:confused:

And on a side note - hopefully i'll learn to deep water start with one ski soon. My bro can do it and he's 30lbs heavier than me, so it must be my technique...

Thanks!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Weird shin pain after skiing

The spray on some skis can bruise the shin and outside of the calf. there are neoprene sleeves that can be put over the calf if it's a major problem.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use to get the same thing, when I was in a ski show doing 360s around the boat, It's old age or not going fast enough, the spray can be very brutal. With old age and weight gain speed is the answer.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Completely normal. Hurts a lot for first 6-7 days skiing each spring. Then skin toughens up.
Solution 1: ski more.
Solution 2: neoprene spray leg.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. We're only able to ski on weekends due to the location of the cottage. I'll keep at it and see if i can toughen up my shin a bit. Could try a bit more speed i suppose. I'm about 185lb and skiing on a 67in combo ski at about 26mph. Is that fast enough?

haulnazz15

Captain

If you are slalom skiing on a 67" ski, I would bump up the speed to 30mph and see if it helps. Keep in mind, slalom skiers run at 32, 34, and 36mph in the course, so 26mph is pretty slow comparatively.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll try bumping the speed up a bit, but i've only learned to ski this summer and was trying to avoid hurting myself:p