Weight issues with 2 stroke verses 4 stroke

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Father In-Law has a 16 foot Pro Bass Fish-N-Ski. He had a 1990 90 HP 2 stroke Mercury and is in need of a new motor. He is wanting to buy a new Merc 90 HP 4 stroke, but when we went to the dealer today and talked with him about it the dealer said that the 4 stroke 90 HP is to heavy and he could only put a 60 HP on his boat. I know that a 4 stroke is heavier, but are they THAT much heavier?? My Father Inlaws boat is rated for up to a 115 HP motor. To me the 90 HP 4 stroke would be fine. I encourage all opinions on this.<br /><br />Thanks.

Bobby O

Cadet
Re: Weight issues with 2 stroke verses 4 stroke

I ran into the same problem with my twin 225 hp old Mercs. However, I knew based on how my boat was, I could not stand any more transom weight. I opted for the same weight 4 strokes, 150 hp. each, and other than the loss of top end speed, which I expected to lose, have had better handling and hole shot performance. Not to mention ease of starting, fuel effiency and quietness. Can not have them all, glad it has worked out. How the 60 vs 90 does, is unknown, I know I went from 450 to 300 and am satisfied.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Does your dealer think that 4 stroke motors are something new?<br />They were around LONG before 1990 when the boat was rated for 115hp. Heck, 4 stroke outboards were around in the 1960's.<br /><br />Yes they weigh more, but not that much more. <br />Also, motor weights vary by maufacturer.<br /><br />Let's see, his current 1990 Merc 90hp weighs 300#.<br />A new Merc 2 stroke 115hp weighs 350#, which should be ok since the boat is rated for 115hp.<br /><br />Now the 2003 4 strokes:<br />A Merc 115hp, 90hp, and 75hp 4 strokes, all weigh in at 386#.<br /><br />So can the boat handle a motor that weighs 36# more? sure if the boat is sound. <br />Whats 36#? The weight of 5 gallons of gas.<br /><br />Hp ratings are based more on hull design, length, width, stability, and structural strength, than on weight.<br />Your boat also has a weight rating,, but it is the total weight of all the motor, passengers, and gear.<br /><br />I'd move down the road to a different dealer.

JRJ

Commander

I think your father inlaw will be pleased with a EFI 4-stroke. If he's not stuck on Merc, check all the brands for weight. With a little research you'll come up with the all around best choice for him. Good luck.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

tell him to get a 2 stroke and he get that 115. merc 2 strokes are ending there road fast so i would hurry.DAMN E.P.A i would stay away from 4 strokes to much weight even if it just 30 pounds diff evey pound counts on them lil boats

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"tell him to get a 2 stroke and he get that 115. merc 2 strokes are ending there road fast so i would hurry.DAMN E.P.A i would stay away from 4 strokes to much weight even if it just 30 pounds diff evey pound counts on them lil boats"

Is this the same guy that just posted that there are places where cops are runnning around looking for boats with illegal Non-E-tec outboards to arrest???

I don't know that boat well, but if it can't handle a 115 4 stroke it is a POJ. The Merc 115 4 stroke is one of the lightest 4 strokes in that power range. Boats are rated for the torque and thrust of the engine, though some set a weight limit on the transom. Boston Whalers rated for 100HP are rated for 400lb on the transom, so I would expect the Pro Bass to be rated in the same range.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

yup this is the same guy and if you would like to know the lakes that i was talking about where only etecs are allowed

http://www.evinrude.com/

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't worry about the wieght. I've got a 359# 70hp Johnson 4 stroke on the back of a 16' boat rated for a 75hp. No issues with weight and it runs/handles great. The boats had everything from a 170# 55hp to a 350# 130hp Yamaha 2 stroke on the back.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I bet he bought one by now as this original post is from August 14th, 2004.................