Weeds or Cavitation?

dk6164

Seaman
I was on an inland lake yesterday and when I trailered the boat I noticed that my prop was missing the paint on the first 3" or so of each blade. The lake was very weedy and I was wondering if that could cause it or do I need to work on my trimming skills(trim guage inop.+ new senders too expensive) I've run on Lake Erie with no problem, but not for the full day like I did yesterday.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Weeds or Cavitation?

Sand, weeds can wear paint off and usally leave a smooth finish, overtrimming will burn paint off and tiny pits will occur on the prop edges.

dk6164

Seaman

Nothern Eclipse- Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured it was a stupid question but I'm new to this thing called boating. It looks like the blades have been sandblasted so I'll chalk it up to weeds/sand. But I think I still need a little work with the trimming!<br />Thanks again

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The question is not stupid.. The trim deal is done by feel.. start boat off with drive completely down, get to WOT then start to trim up in short burst on the switch ( best to do this running strait) pay attention to how the steering wheel feels in your hand. once you have felt the steering relax then you have hit the sweet spot. Remember to trim dowm some before making high speed turns this allows the bow to settle in.