Weedeater carb settings?

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a craftsman weedeater that I have stripped down and rebuilt. It starts fine, but it bogs down when I give it throttle. I'm thinking that the carb needles need to be reset. Anybody know where to start on this? Thanks

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Weedeater carb settings?

Bogs are usually caused by lean fuel mixture. Here's very generic advice for 2 stroke weedeaters, not knowing model number or types of adjustments available. Might not apply to your model:

Do you have a pair of high and low speed adjustment screws on the carb? Often labeled H and L or similar...some are red and green or red and black. Usually right next to each other. Sometimes they're knurled knobs that can be turned without tools, sometimes you need a screwdriver.

If yes, then warm it up, let it idle, and turn the low speed screw in until it starts to lose RPM. Then turn it out until it starts to lose RPM. Then set it 1/2 way between the two.

Now give it wide open throttle and do the same with the high speed screw.

That usually gets it pretty darn close. If there's still a bog after that adjustment it's usually caused by an overly lean setting in the low speed mixture (getting too much air at idle). If that's your only problem, maybe just try turning the low speed screw in a bit (1/8 turn at a time) to reduce air intake at idle.

If you only have one screw (whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke), it is most likely a low speed air adjustment screw (many newer ones do not have a high speed adjustment). Procedure above is the same. But you can just try turning it one way or the other and see if it corrects the problem. Remember how far you go either way so you can go back to baseline if you make it worse. I'd still be inclined to first try turning it IN if you have a bog...to enrichen the idle speed mixture.

And don't mistake these adjustment screws for the idle screw...I presume you can recognize the difference? Ask for clarification if not. Changing the idle speed will usually not help this situation, so just leave it alone if it is idling OK now.

Also make sure you have a proper air cleaner in position, as the air restriction it creates is necessary for proper tuning to prevent a lean condition, and also make sure the screws/bolts that hold the carb to the motor are snugged up tight so there's no air leaking in creating another lean condition.

Hopefully this helps a little! Good luck...

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Weedeater carb settings?

How old is the trimmer. Most newer stuff manufactured after 1998 has the EPA carbs and are non-adjustable.

Most sears trimmers, just like the featherlites, homelites, and many others are disposable OPE out door power equipment.

BIll