Wear on one side of one tire

MarkC

Seaman
I'm looking to get a used trailer in good shape for my boat (16' Glastron I/O runabout from 1969), because the current trailer is rusty and needs rollers, wheels, springs, ...<br /><br />Anyway, I was looking at a pretty good trailer (from a Ranger), and there are two main worries I have.<br /><br />1. One tire is worn down dramatically on the inside (the other tire, apparently bought at the same time, is hardly worn at all).<br /><br />2. The trailer (19' long) was for a 17' boat, and while the bow stop is somewhat adjustable (10"), the axle position is not. I don't think I could match the bow-stop to axle center distance, and so I would expect to have significantly more tongue weight than I have now. I actually think I could use a bit more than I have, but I'm not sure<br />if it'd be too much. I guess a bass boat is more stern-heavy than an I/O, which explains the axle placement. <br /><br />Thanks for any advice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wear on one side of one tire

Howdy, Mark. Don't buy that trailer. It has a bent axle. Though an axle isn't very expensive or difficult to replace it could signal other problems.<br /><br />Tongue weight should be 7% to 10% of gross trailer weight, loaded. Too little and your trailer would be prone to fishtail, too much and your tow vehicle's apparent center of gravity moves too far back for safe handling.<br /><br />I'm still looking for the ideal trailer for my 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. I have it on a galvanized MagicTilt with new axle, hubs, bearings, wheels and tires but it is a 2000# trailer handling 1800-1900# load. Not enough safety margin for me.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Mark-C

Cadet
Re: Wear on one side of one tire

Thanks, JB. I kinda figured it was a bent axle or and axle mounted out of square. A new axle would probably end up being a couple hundred more dollars, which begins to add up with the other mods I'd have to make. With you, I'll keep my eyes out for the perfect trailer, hoping that the old one holds out until then...<br /><br />Mark