Weak Spark on 40HP Johnson

huntandhook

Seaman
I had my motor running fine at the end of last season, but when I tried to start it this year it wouldn't start, not even a hiccup. The motor is getting fuel and the compression is fine. When I checked the spark it was weak on both cylinders - a little stronger on the top, but too weak to ignite the fuel. The motor is a 1979 johnson workhorse with breaker point ignition. The spark plugs looked fine, although they were wet from fuel from cranking the motor over. The two secondary coils were replaced last year and did not show any signs of damage. I replaced the driver coil under the flywheel and there was no improvement in spark. I have checked all the electrical connections, grounds, and wiring harnesses, and they all seem to be fine. I am at a loss as to where to look next to solve this spark problem. If anyone has any ideas or advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks
H&H

huntandhook

Seaman
Re: Weak Spark on 40HP Johnson

Forgot to mention I also inspected the breaker points and checked the gap. the points looked fine, no pitting or discolouration, and they opened and closed when I turned the shaft. The only thing I haven't checked is the key switch. Is it possible for a malfunctioning switch to cause spark problems?