WEAK OR NO SPARK

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice
i HOPE JOE REEVES READS THIS ONE!!!! 1972 85HP JOHNSON. DOESN'T SEEM TO BE A SPARK GOING ACROSS THE POINTS. AM WONDERING IF THE AMPLIFIER OR COIL IS BAD. BOUGHT A NEW COIL BUT SAME TROUBLE! I'VE HEARD OF THE " STEVENS TESTER" BUT NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. HOW CAN I TEST THE AMPLIFIER AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE IF IT'S BAD. IT IS A HYDRO-ELECTRIC UNIT.<br /> JOE D.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: WEAK OR NO SPARK

Joe....here is the test for the amplifiers that Joe posted several times. It works.<br /><br />(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.<br /><br /><br />Let us know how you make out.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

thanks to OJB. I will be trying this in the next few weeks once the PAINTING is finished !!!<br />NOTE: I hate painting ! A bad day out on the boat is better than a good day painting ! LOL

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Joe....just to point out, you need a really good battery for this type of ignition system. One that will give you 12V without question. Just a little below 11V's and you risk the amplifier.