We must be bad!

KaGee

Admiral
I've read both postings from OBJ and The Professor and wonder if somethings wrong with me.<br /><br />We married young and had our first child within the first year. The second two years later. I guess my wife and I must be slobs.... we finally got the "empty nest" back in May and I cannot tell how much we enjoy it! Well sorta enjoy it anyway.<br /><br />Both boys still live within 10 minutes and come over regularly... sometimes too often. We see more of our oldest son now than the last two years he lived at home. And when they do come over.... they kind of camp out. Like I almost have to send them home. And My grocery bill is higher than when they lived here! They always eat.... and mama makes sure there is stuff to eat.... and of course, we have to feed the daughters in-law too...! And now we have a grandchild on the way in April. So, you can throw out the "empty nest" come then, cause I know who's gonna end up watching the kid.<br /><br />Sorry guys, I'd like to say I feel the same "empty" feelings, but in all honesty, I do not. <br /><br />Am I the only one who feels this way?? :confused:

rwise

Captain
Re: We must be bad!

sounds like the fun is just begining! I thought (yes it hurt) that mine would move out when they grew up. know, there are 5 adults and a baby in my house. Empty nest? whats that? I understand it costs a lot to get started and live on your own.<br />Richard

one more cast

Captain

I enjoy my kids being out on there own. BUT, they keep moving back in for periods of time.My wife has two boys and the younger one has moved in twice in the last three years and I have two daughters and the youngest split up with her live in boy friend so she was living in our front yard in her camper until the weather started getting cold and now she moved in with her two cats. I can't wait until she gets back out on her own. We love to have our kids visit but we also love our empty nest.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has been a while, but I recall very mixed feelings.<br /><br />Both the loss :( and the discovery of long forgotten privacy :) .<br /><br />I don't think there are right or wrong ways to feel about it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like JB, there is no right way or wrong way to look at this.<br />We have been in the empty nest mode for 5 years now and, yes it is nice to be able to do things around the house that you could not do before, but then again you are always glad to see them when they come by.<br /><br />Mine are all within 20 miles of me so that makes it good also, at time, that is. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

I dont mean to be insensative, but as long as they know they can come back they will. Even when animals weane there young, there is no doubt that they cant come back, the mothers get downright mean. There are allways surcumstances where it may be necesary at times. I stayed with my folks after remarring and moving back from Arizona after being gone for a couple years when I was 35 years old for two weeks while I found a job, I didnt need to, they offered and we had a great time as we hadnt seen each other in awhile. But we were all glad when we moved.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

My wife and I have a daughter who is 20, and in college. She comes back on weekends, and we love to have her back, but she knows that she is going to that place called "ON YOUR OWN." <br /><br />Our philosophy is that they we always want them to come and visit us, and bring the grandkids, when they come, but they have to make their own way in this world. We kid around that when we get home from High School Graduation ceremony for #3, the 10 year old, we will put the "For Sale" sign in the yard and live on the road in a 5th Wheel.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Capt. Kidd:<br /> ... we will put the "For Sale" sign in the yard and live on the road in a 5th Wheel.
I've been given that advise before too...!\LOL :D

FSHKPR

Ensign

I love my kids too and the grandkids. but no way could they live with us again. i love our empty nest. they visit often and like i always tell my wife when they leave. I dont know what makes me happier, when they get here or when they leave.