WD 40 now a tool in the war against drugs.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Who knew??<br /><br /> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145014,00.html <br /><br />Spray It, Don't Snort It<br />Thursday, January 20, 2005<br /><br />It's said that WD-40 (search) has 2,000 uses. Here's another one: anti-drug weapon.<br /><br />Bar owners in southwestern England have discovered that powdered cocaine chemically breaks down in the presence of the common lubricant, the BBC reports.<br /><br />"It congeals into a mess, it then semi-dissolves it and prevents it being sniffed," said Avon and Somerset (search) police officer Graham Pease.<br /><br />Pub workers across the region have begun to spray the oily stuff onto all flat surfaces in bathrooms — countertops, paper-towel dispensers ... and toilet seats. Yes, toilet seats.<br /><br />For drug abusers, that's something to snort about.<br /><br />"Normally people don't notice it's there until too late, so it ruins their little supply of cocaine," said Monica Walker, an employee at the upscale Bar Excellence in Bristol, southwestern England's largest city and a big university town.<br /><br />Cocaine was relatively rare in Britain until about 10 or 15 years ago, but has since become entrenched as part of weekend night-clubbing culture in the new, young, hip "Cool Britannia."<br /><br />"It's a much-accepted drug by our customers, but it's obviously illegal," said Walker.<br /><br />Julian Bavaud, deputy manager of Bar Excellence, said the sprayed surfaces did have a slight greasy feel, but customers wouldn't be able to tell whether something had been treated with WD-40 or not.<br /><br />"We don’t spray it every night, but perhaps once or twice a week," he told the Press Association, a British wire service.<br /><br />WD-40 stands for "water displacement, 40th attempt," which is how the chemist who developed it referred to the substance, according to the WD-40 company's Web site.<br /><br />A company spokeswoman, contacted by the Press Association about the lubricant's anti-drug use, said WD-40 wasn't meant to be ingested into the human body, whether deliberately or not.<br /><br />"As far as we are concerned," she said, "it is not a use we would encourage."

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: WD 40 now a tool in the war against drugs.

LMAO!!!<br /><br />Sounds like a great idea!!<br />But the "toilet seats"????<br />Talk about desperation.<br /><br />AK Chappy

aspeck

Staff member

2001 uses and counting! If it keeps coke out of the nose and in the toilet where it belongs I am all for it!

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now if only they could find a use for Duct tape in fighting drugs...

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda like the idea that dopers have to use a toilet seat to snort their habit. It makes me want to miss a little more often. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

most the clubs I go into I would not SIT on the toilet much less sniff anything. in fact holding ones breath and making it quick is usually the best way :)

Triton II

Commander

Hmm, personally I wouldn't go into THOSE kind of clubs Rodbolt! :eek:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Silens Curator:<br /> Now if only they could find a use for Duct tape in fighting drugs...
Tie the little punks up to I-beams.

LazyJ

Seaman

About 10 years ago I got frustrated at the cost of a good wallet and couldn't find a type I liked so I made one out of duct tape. I still carry it with frugal pride and it will likely outlive me.