Watery bellows - should u-joint bellows be dry of grease too?

gwa584

Cadet
Hi -
Questions:
- If I had a huge hole in my u-joint bellows (so water surely got in) is replacement of the u-joints, gimbal bearing, and drive-side oil seal a necessity in that case?
I plan to replace my gimbal bearing because I can see it and see a little rust on the bottom (though it still spins smoothly right now) but I'd rather not take the upper outdrive gearing apart if I don't have to. I guess my question is that if I don't see corrosion on the u-joints (which seem well-greased/lubed up) does this necessarily mean my upper seal is done? (There is a greasy coating all over the u-joints and yokes and bellow but did that come from leaking drive oil or 2-4-C lube spun off the u-joints and yokes?)

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer!

Background:
I have a 1987 Four Winns 170 Candia deck boat with a 165hp Mercruiser/Mercury Marine inline 4-cylinder/224cid engine, with a close cooling system and an Alpha One outdrive. Serial numbers as follows:
- Mercruiser Transom Assembly Serial #: 0B689578
- Mercruiser Drive Unit Serial #: 0B701774
- Mercruiser Engine Serial #: B731211

Last edited:

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Watery bellows - should u-joint bellows be dry of grease too?

i have a pre alpha that has grease certs yours needs grease too,, if it has grease certs. good luck .

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fresh or salt? Fill out the profile and we'd know where you live.The grease comes from the u-joints and the gimbal bearing.The transom housing has grease fittings like DRYDOCK said.One of them on the right side of the housing goes direct into the gimbal.
If you are in fresh then turn the bearing and see if it you feel anything but smooth.ANY!!!! rough spots replace. The u-joints fill with grease.If no fittings put them in if possible.
In salt water replace the gimbal and grease the %^& out of the u-joints.Any grease in the bellows will be nasty but it will not hurt anything in fact it will help. Jerry

gwa584

Cadet

Thanks guys. I've updated my profile, but I live in the Detroit area and the boat has been a freshwater boat as much as I know (but I don't know the whole history). I think the telling point for me was that I was able to get my partially melted water pocket cover bolts off without a hitch. (whew!)

So I'm familiar with the grease service holes but I'm more curious as to really whether grease does spin off them that much or how to tell if it's oil (mixed with grease) instead? - because it's not puddled at all but my whole inner u-joint bellow is greasy.

Some pics so far - you can see the corrosion (I think) on the bottom of the gimbal bearing, so I'm replacing that even though it's spinning freely at this point...just don't know whether I need to remove my upper housing gearing and joke to replace that front oil seal (don't have a picture of the u-joints handy):
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll472/gwa584/IMG_2698.jpg
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll472/gwa584/IMG_2699.jpg

Like I said, there was no water in my drive lube, but unfortunately I kicked my oil drain pan so I lost the chance to measure how much oil was actually in my outdrive to gauge any loss through that top yoke oil seal (or elsewhere).

Thoughts?