waterpump on 30HP Johnson outboard

lowe-bowie

Recruit
I have a 1994 johnson 30hp outboard. I bought it new and I've had to replace the waterpump 3 times. Is this normal? What manual would show me how to change this with good details?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: waterpump on 30HP Johnson outboard

Why have you had to change it?

lowe-bowie

Recruit

The waterpump rubber material just appears wore out & won't pump water through.<br /> I've never taken it apart myself, but the repair shop has shown them to me. All have looked as if they just wore out.<br />Are there different qualities of waterpumps for the 30HP Johnson?

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI Lowe-bowie, The waterpump impellers in these motors are very good, there are other reasons why they are wearing out. One possibility is the motor is run in a sandy area often. Another is the motor is run without water to the pump. The pump must have water before it is started. If you run this with the earmuff type flushing adapter, the water must be turned on before starting the motor. And the motor should not be run too long or above an idle this way. The pump is designed to pull water. The hose adapter will push water thru the motor. This may not allow the pump to work correctly. When the pump pulls water, the blades of the impeller fold in a little and do not touch the inner walls of the pump. When the hose pushes water in, the blade may not fold inward and they rub on the inner walls. Another way is some people start the motor without any water, If the motor runs for even 5 seconds,with no water, the impellar is damaged. The best way to run this motor is to have the lower unit in a bucket with the water level 3-4 inches above the seam where the gearcase mounts to the motor. Iceman

lowe-bowie

Recruit

Hey Iceman,<br /> You pretty well described every start-up scenario that I've attempted. Especially the earmuff approach. I've often wondered what effect that has had on it. One last question: Which manual would you recommend to use to change this waterpump out myself? <br />Thanks for the insight.<br />lowe-bowie