Waterproof Marine Laptop?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am a Meteorologist and do some independent research on the Chesapeake. Any good ideas on how to keep a laptop dry and usable in adverse conditions? I would be using this on a small 18' center console. I thought about puting the laptop through a foodsaver, but it needs to cool.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Waterproof Marine Laptop?

They sell hardened, waterproof laptops but they're not cheap. <br /><br />Definitely don't vacuum bag it, as you said the thermal retention will kill it quickly. <br /><br />Short of it is that laptops are designed for indoor use. Not too many options as far as waterproofing them go. I was considering this so I could use one of my laptops as a color GPS chartplotter among other things, but it just ends up not being practical. If you do find a solution please post back here, I'd be interested. <br /><br />Good Luck!!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi zoom. Panasonic makes a laptop called the Toughbook. It is nearly indestructable. Not waterproof, but you can pour water on it, on the keyboard, the screen, with no problem. As long as you didn't drop it overboard, you'd be fine. We use these things at work and they're pretty amazing. When the rep brought them to demonstrate their capabilities, he grabbed one, tossed it in the air about 10 feet and let it slam on to the concrete floor. No damage. Another nice feature with these is the screen is touch sensitive so you can use a stylus to perform all operations. That's great for chart plotting. The keys light up at night too which is nice. You can also flip the screen around and lay it flat with the screen up and just use the stylus. It's really neat.<br /><br />This is the one we use. web page

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could fabricate a lucite case with a clear rubber membrane over the keys. Then rig two cooling fans in the case. One in ...one out that should defeat the thaermal heat retention problem. Materials would cost around 100 bucks for the lucite, rubber and lucite adhesive-sealant.<br />Just an Idea.<br />Later,

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Center console...not much "dry" storage... I was thinking about installing a laptop in my cuddy cabin then run a monitor cable to a touchscreen/waterproof monitor mounted on my console. Alittle pricey but...would work. With center console...you could go the same route..large enuff "waterproof" box that allow ventalation...<br /><br />-JustMrWill