Waterproof connectors ?

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What are you guys using for waterproof connectors when wiring your trailers up. I'm about to wire up a trailer and i want to do it right the first time.

Thanks

bigdee

Commander
Re: Waterproof connectors ?

solder,shrink tubing & silicon RTV is the only foolproof method. crimped butt spices will do if sealed with silicon.....stay away from those clamshell type squeeze connectors.

reelfishin

Captain

I second the solder and heatshrink method.
You can buy self sealing heat shrink tubing too, its often sold as marine heat shrink or just water proof shrink tube.
I used to get mine from a local truck parts house. Try any auto electrical store or good parts house.

The stuff is basically heavy gauge heat shrink tubing with a hot glue coating inside.
If you in saltwater or run salt covered roads, then it's the only answer.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

i have had good luck with liquid electrical tape. Especially if used with heat shrink tubing

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Permaseal terminals, crimp on with the glue filled shrink tube already attached.

PBarrett

Seaman

Weather Pack or Deutsch connectors are the only way to go. Do it right and do it once.

PB

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I took the plastic insulators off of the inline crimp connectors, crimped them bare, then soldered, then heat shrink tubing, then electrical tape over that. I once bought some connectors labelled "weatherproof" and they basically looked like the normal connectors with longer plastic sleeves. Prob are better options but that's what I had on hand and I usually only use my trailer to launch in the spring and to retrieve in the fall.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I took the plastic insulators off of the inline crimp connectors, crimped them bare, then soldered, then heat shrink tubing, then electrical tape over that. I once bought some connectors labelled "weatherproof" and they basically looked like the normal connectors with longer plastic sleeves. Prob are better options but that's what I had on hand and I usually only use my trailer to launch in the spring and to retrieve in the fall.

They my have been heat shrink sleeves on those connectors, not just ordinary plastic.

I use crimp butt connectors that come with a heat shrink sleeve already on them. I once was able to get these with a corrosion resistant gel inside them, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

In addition to shrink wrap, I sometimes add "liquid electrical tape".
It is also good for sealing black guages, etc. or guages against a black dashboard.

Ultimately, nothing is waterproof or salt proof, so leave some slack for replacing connectors and lights. Protect against chafing along the line--that's where most problems occur. And unplug your lights before dunking the trailer.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of fancy-pantsy options.

I use wirenuts pre-filled with high temp grease.

Easy to undo and redo without cutting wires and installing those new fancy-pantsy connectors every time.

Works for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Easy to undo and redo without cutting wires and installing those new fancy-pantsy connectors every time.
Of course if you do it right the first ime, you never have to re do it.

just saying... :)

sasto

Captain

We were using fingernail polish (black) by applying it into the barrel of the connector thus sealing it off......Salesman came in with these new (at the time) heat shrink connectors with the rachet crimpers. I laughed.. We stripped a wire..placed it in the connector...applied heat without crimping, to his dismay...clamped the terminal in a vice....gave the wire a good yank...The heat shrink adheared to the wire insulation and ripped it off...Sold, been using them since. Panduit or Anchor for me.

macsfriended

Seaman

The guys above who recommended ANCOR heat sealable terminals and connectors have it right. Use ANCOR and you will be doing it right, and permanent.

Also, strongly consider running actual wires for the ground from each light to the ground pin on the trailer plugl. One more way to do it right and permanent. Probably will want to hardwire connect the tow vehicle's ground pin to the vehicles frame, too.

rwidman

Lieutenant

rwidman

Lieutenant

Lots of fancy-pantsy options.

I use wirenuts pre-filled with high temp grease.

Works for me.
I get a good laugh when I see a boat trailer with wire nuts on the wiring. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder what the boat's wiring looks like. :eek: