Waterlogged Whaler

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pick up a 1965 13 foot. Boston Whaler. But i found out it has water in the foam. It should be 265 lbs. empty but probably twice the weight. Any one ever had any luck removing the water?

tpenfield

Staff member
You could probably get the water out given enough time and effort. The question will be what condition the foam is and how it may effect the integrity of the boat. I also believe that they have a wood core for the transom. So, if the foam is wet, then probably the transom. I have seen whaler restorations on various forums, if you are up to the task. Basically, it involves cutting out large sections of the hull and routing out all the foam, then replacing with new pour-in stuff. Probably more tricky fiberglass work since you would be cutting the hull or the liner if working from the inside. I'm not sure if you could separate the hull 'halves' , as that would be easier on the fiberglass work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with all the whaler clones on the market, as well a plenty of quality used whalers, why bother attempting to restore one. can it be done? Yes. Should it be done - up to you to decide.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Park it on yer front lawn, 'n plant flowers in it,...

You'll Never get it dried out,....

If you've got over 200 pounds of excess water it'll never dry out. The only way would be to rip up the deck and tear the foam out. If it's that bad you're also going to be looking at replacing the transom and stringers (if that boat has stringers). It's not that a project like that couldn't be successful (been there, done that 3 times), but from what I've read you'll be better off parting it out and finding another boat that's in decent condition because of the fact that they are relatively common.

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input. I figure it can never sink. Just ride a little lower in the water.I give this a try from Boston Whaler.

Checking through the old records, a 13' bare hull left the factory weighing about 270lbs. This was with nothing installed on the boat.

If your boat has retained water, for some reason, it may be in your best interest to have a professional fiberglass repair shop use a vacuum pump (air powered vac) to constantly draw water out of the hull. This may take some time depending on the severity of the damage.

I'd try to get as close to the 300lbs mark as possible.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good luck, I suspect you'll be surprised at how much a shop will charge to attempt this, if any will even consider it.

The foam that has become waterlogged, is no longer doing what it's intended to do: In a whaler, that's fully support the deck & hull, and provide flotation.

Search thru the forum, there are a few Topics about this. There is plywood backers behind some of the stuff attached to the deck, the center console for 1. That plywood is likely compromised as mentioned and the transom as well.....

Good luck w/ your project

Boat & boat resto safely